Heat engine and Heat pump in combination

In summary, the two equations for the first and second law are Delta U=Q-W and Q=INTEGRAL OF TOdelta.
canadiansmith
Question is attached

I have spent a great deal of time on this problem and I am hoping someone can help me out.
My attempt at problem.

first for the heat engine
QL/Qw1 = TL/Twaste
so efficiency = 1- Tl/Twaste
efficiency = 0.93808
and I know that efficiency = Wout/ Qw1

This is as far as i got for the heat engine...

For Heat pump
i found cop = TH/(TH-TL) = 4.23

Attachments

• thermo3.jpeg
    thermo3.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 821
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind efficiency. The problem doesn't ask for efficiency. It only wants you to compute dQh/dt.

ANYWAY ...

write the equations for the 1st and 2nd laws. That's 4 equations.

Then write the relationship between Qw1, Qw2 and 5 MW.

5 equations, 5 unknowns. Away you go. Solve for Qh.

(Note - the 1st and 2nd laws are usually written in terms of energy rather than power. Don't let that slow you down. Just pretend it's energy for 1 second, which of course is 1 J/s = 1 W.

rude man said:
Never mind efficiency. The problem doesn't ask for efficiency. It only wants you to compute dQh/dt.

ANYWAY ...

write the equations for the 1st and 2nd laws. That's 4 equations.

Then write the relationship between Qw1, Qw2 and 5 MW.

5 equations, 5 unknowns. Away you go. Solve for Qh.

(Note - the 1st and 2nd laws are usually written in terms of energy rather than power. Don't let that slow you down. Just pretend it's energy for 1 second, which of course is 1 J/s = 1 W.

I am still a little confused. There are 2 equations for both first and second law?
i only have delta U = Q-W
and Q = integral of TodeltaS

canadiansmith said:
I am still a little confused. There are 2 equations for both first and second law?
i only have delta U = Q-W
and Q = integral of TodeltaS

Yes, but you have two mechanisms, the heat engine and the heat pump. Each has its own
1st & 2nd law equations.

BTW dQ = TdS is not an expression of the second law. It's just a formula to calculate entropy. What you need is an expression reflective of the fact that entropy is unchanged in a reversible cycle.

As for the 1st law, you are right, but what can you say about Qw1, QL, Qw2, QH and W? Remember that U is a state function so over a cycle it doesn't change either, reversible or not.

Last edited:

I would like to offer some clarification and further explanation on the concepts of heat engines and heat pumps, as well as how they can be used together.

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work, such as the movement of a piston or turbine. It operates in a cyclic process, taking in heat from a high temperature source (TL) and releasing some of that heat to a lower temperature sink (Twaste). The remaining heat is converted into work, which is represented by the equation QW1 = QL - Qwaste. The efficiency of a heat engine is given by the formula QL/QW1 = TL/Twaste, where TL is the temperature of the high temperature source and Twaste is the temperature of the low temperature sink. This efficiency is always less than 1, and the closer the temperatures are, the lower the efficiency will be.

On the other hand, a heat pump is a device that uses mechanical work to transfer heat from a low temperature source (TL) to a higher temperature sink (TH). It operates in a reverse cycle compared to a heat engine, taking in work (W) and releasing heat to the high temperature sink (TH). The coefficient of performance (COP) of a heat pump is defined as the ratio of heat transferred to the amount of work put in, and is given by COP = TH/(TH-TL). This value can be greater than 1, indicating that a heat pump can transfer more heat than the work put in.

Now, in terms of using a heat engine and heat pump in combination, one possible application is in a combined heat and power (CHP) system. In this system, a heat engine is used to generate electricity, while the waste heat from the engine is then used to power a heat pump and provide heating or cooling for a building. This allows for the efficient use of both the heat engine and heat pump, as the waste heat from the engine is not wasted but instead utilized for another purpose.

In terms of the given problem, it seems that the heat engine and heat pump are being used in conjunction to transfer heat from a low temperature source (TL) to a high temperature sink (TH). The efficiency of the heat engine is calculated to be 0.93808, meaning that about 94% of the heat is converted into work. The COP of the heat pump is calculated to be 4.23, indicating that for every

What is a heat engine and how does it work?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work. It works by using a fuel source to produce heat, which then causes a working fluid, such as steam or gas, to expand and push a piston or turbine, creating motion.

What is a heat pump and how is it different from a heat engine?

A heat pump is a device that transfers heat from a lower temperature source to a higher temperature destination, using mechanical work. It is different from a heat engine because it does not convert heat energy into mechanical work, but instead uses work to move heat from one place to another.

How can a heat engine and heat pump be used in combination?

A heat engine and heat pump can be used in combination to create a system known as a heat engine-heat pump. This system uses the heat rejected by the heat engine to power the heat pump, which then transfers the heat to a higher temperature destination. This allows for more efficient use of energy and can be used in applications such as refrigeration and air conditioning.

What are the benefits of using a heat engine and heat pump in combination?

The main benefit of using a heat engine and heat pump in combination is increased energy efficiency. By utilizing the waste heat from the heat engine to power the heat pump, less energy is required to achieve the same amount of work or heat transfer. This can lead to cost savings and reduced environmental impact.

What are some real-world examples of the use of a heat engine and heat pump in combination?

One example of the use of a heat engine-heat pump system is in geothermal power plants. The heat from the Earth's core is used to power a heat engine, which generates electricity. The waste heat from this process is then used to power a heat pump, which transfers the heat to a higher temperature destination for heating purposes. Another example is in combined heat and power systems, where the waste heat from a heat engine is used to power a heat pump for heating and cooling applications in buildings.