Constructing 95% CI for Difference in Means of 2 Normals w/ Var Unknown

In summary, when constructing a 95% confidence interval for the difference in means from two samples with unknown variances, the statistic will follow a normal distribution with mean equal to the difference in the two population means and variance equal to the sum of the variances divided by the respective sample sizes. This holds true even if the sample sizes are less than 30.
Discrete Data
I have two samples, one with 21 measurements and one with 23 measurements, from a Normal distribution and I am constructing a 95% CI for the difference in the two means. I do not know the variances of the two Normal distributions.

I know that [itex]\overline{X_1}-\overline{X_2}[/itex]~[itex]N(\mu_1-\mu_2, \sqrt{\frac{\sigma_1^2}{n_1}+\frac{\sigma_2^2}{n_2}})[/itex]

But then as [itex]\sigma_1[/itex],[itex] \sigma_2[/itex] are unknown I use the sample variances, but then does it then follow that,

[itex]\frac{(\overline{X_1}-\overline{X_2})-(\mu_1-\mu_2)}{\sqrt{\frac{S_1^2}{n_1}+\frac{S_2^2}{n_2}}}≈N(0,1)[/itex]

Even though my samples are both less than 30 measurements?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is a valid way to construct a 95% CI for the difference in means. You can use the sample variances, and the resulting statistic will be approximately normally distributed with mean 0 and variance 1, regardless of the sample size.

1. How is the 95% confidence interval calculated for the difference in means of two normal distributions with unknown variance?

To calculate the 95% confidence interval for the difference in means of two normal distributions with unknown variance, we use the formula: (x1 - x2) ± t*(s1^2/n1 + s2^2/n2)^1/2, where x1 and x2 are the sample means, s1 and s2 are the sample standard deviations, and n1 and n2 are the sample sizes. The value of t can be found in a t-table based on the degrees of freedom, which is calculated as (n1-1) + (n2-1).

2. What is the significance of the 95% confidence interval in this context?

The 95% confidence interval represents a range of values in which we are 95% confident that the true difference between the two population means lies. In other words, if we were to take multiple samples and calculate the confidence intervals for each one, 95% of those intervals would contain the true difference in means.

3. What assumptions are made when constructing a 95% confidence interval for the difference in means of two normal distributions with unknown variance?

The assumptions made when constructing a 95% confidence interval for the difference in means include: 1) Both populations follow a normal distribution, 2) The two populations have equal variances, and 3) The samples are independent of each other.

4. How can we interpret the 95% confidence interval for the difference in means?

The 95% confidence interval can be interpreted as a range of values in which we are 95% confident that the true difference between the two population means lies. If the interval includes zero, then we cannot reject the null hypothesis that the two population means are equal. If the interval does not include zero, then we can conclude that there is a significant difference between the two population means.

5. Can the 95% confidence interval be used to make predictions about individual values?

No, the 95% confidence interval is not meant to be used for making predictions about individual values. It only provides a range of values in which the true difference between the two population means is likely to lie. It does not tell us anything about the values of individual data points within the populations.