Can History be Modeled as Brownian Motion?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of modeling the "path of history" as Brownian motion with a mean collision time. Specific models and examples were mentioned, such as the revenue of major corporations and the relative strength of nation states. The possibility of predicting the fortunes of a company or country through a "corrected" Brownian motion was also brought up. The conversation also referenced articles and papers on quantitative history and the patterns of nature falling into normal or powerlaw distributions. The importance of considering individual events as random was emphasized and resources such as Nassim Nicholas Taleb's books were recommended for further reading.
chill_factor
I read somewhere that the "path of history" measured in some way can be modeled as Brownian motion with a mean collision time.

There's been several very *specific* models such as:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/asm.3150030303/abstract

However, what I'd like to know is that if the same model can be applied to parameters of "big" things that are nonetheless also numerous enough so that the equipartition theorem applies, such as the revenue of a group of major corporations (tens of thousands of them) or even the relative strength of a group of nation states (hundreds).

What'd be really interesting is what the mean collision time is, and what those "collisions" are manifested as.

Science news on Phys.org
Sorry, but

chill_factor said:
the "path of history" measured in some way

is so vague it can - in some way - lead to any random conclusion.

Path of getting to this conclusion can be though of as a Brownian motion as well :tongue:

Borek said:
Sorry, but
is so vague it can - in some way - lead to any random conclusion.

Path of getting to this conclusion can be though of as a Brownian motion as well :tongue:

I made specific examples. market share or stock price of major corporations in an industry for instance. GDP growth rates of nation states is another.

These parameters can be influenced by major events such as a stock market shock or technological breakthrough. I was wondering if it was possible to predict the fortunes of a company or a country while accounting for these major events, a sort of "corrected" Brownian motion through the chosen parameter.

chill_factor said:
I made specific examples. market share or stock price of major corporations in an industry for instance. GDP growth rates of nation states is another.

These parameters can be influenced by major events such as a stock market shock or technological breakthrough. I was wondering if it was possible to predict the fortunes of a company or a country while accounting for these major events, a sort of "corrected" Brownian motion through the chosen parameter.

Interesting thought. But be very wary, and maybe do a bit of research of success rate of forecasting with models, weather for instance.

But maybe there is a general semi random pattern in corporation/people/nation cycles, genesis, growth, thriving, high noon/gold age, decay, collapse, termination. Just two cents.

chill_factor said:
I read somewhere that the "path of history" measured in some way can be modeled as Brownian motion with a mean collision time.

There are good reasons why the patterns of nature fall into either normal or powerlaw distributions.

The Common Patterns of Nature
Steven A. Frank
June 18, 2009

...any aggregation of processes that preserves information only about the mean and variance attracts to the Gaussian pattern; any aggregation that preserves information only about the mean attracts to the exponential pattern; any aggregation that preserves in-
formation only about the geometric mean attracts to the power law pattern.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/0906.3507.pdf

apeiron said:
There are good reasons why the patterns of nature fall into either normal or powerlaw distributions.

Thank you!

Andre said:
Interesting thought. But be very wary, and maybe do a bit of research of success rate of forecasting with models, weather for instance.

But maybe there is a general semi random pattern in corporation/people/nation cycles, genesis, growth, thriving, high noon/gold age, decay, collapse, termination. Just two cents.

Are there any articles on quantitative history that I can look at? Everything else other than the posted article is behind a paywall...

chill_factor said:

The import of Frank's paper is that from a sufficient distance (take a large enough class of events) and individual events are random. The issue then is to decide what kind of randomness applies.

If you want a more introductory approach to this issue - and from a financial markets perspective - Nassim Nicholas Taleb's books are an easy read...

http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/

This is also a good paper on powerlaws (since you focus on Brownian motion)...

Power laws, Pareto distributions and Zipf’s law
M. E. J. Newman
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/cond-mat/pdf/0412/0412004v3.pdf

thank you greatly, these papers are very useful for me.

1. What is "History as brownian motion"?

"History as brownian motion" is a concept that compares the movement and changes within history to the random and unpredictable motion of particles in a fluid, known as brownian motion. It suggests that historical events and patterns cannot be predicted or controlled, but rather occur randomly and without a specific direction.

2. How does "History as brownian motion" relate to chaos theory?

"History as brownian motion" is closely related to chaos theory, which states that small changes in initial conditions can lead to significantly different outcomes in complex systems. In the context of history, this means that small events or decisions can have a significant impact on the course of history, making it difficult to predict or control.

3. Can "History as brownian motion" be applied to all historical events?

While the concept of "History as brownian motion" can provide insight into the unpredictable and chaotic nature of history, it may not be applicable to all historical events. Some events may be influenced by specific factors or individuals, making them less random and more predictable.

4. How does "History as brownian motion" challenge traditional views of historical progress?

Traditional views of historical progress often suggest that history follows a linear and predetermined path towards improvement and development. However, "History as brownian motion" challenges this idea by highlighting the random and unpredictable nature of historical events, suggesting that progress is not always guaranteed or linear.

5. What impact does "History as brownian motion" have on our understanding of the present and future?

By recognizing the chaotic and unpredictable nature of history, "History as brownian motion" can help us understand the complex and often unexpected events that shape our present and future. It also reminds us that the future is not predetermined and can be influenced by small and seemingly insignificant events.