Career Guidance, Where to look, What to look for.

In summary, the conversation discussed a physics major who is graduating soon and is unsure about their future career path. They enjoy physics and problem solving, but are not sure what specific job to pursue. The expert suggests that with a B.S. in physics, they may have to compete with other majors for generic jobs or consider going to graduate school for a PhD. It is noted that a graduate degree may make their physics degree more marketable.
spikethekitty
I am a physics major at Wabash College. I am going to graduate in the spring with a BS in physics, but I have no direction for where to go afterwards. I enjoy physics, looking at the rules and structure of the universe and figuring out how it works. I would, ideally, like a job where I can be a problem solver, but I don't have anything more specific in mind. I have no plan on going to grad-school.

I was simply looking for guidance as to what field of occupation to look into. What kind of job looks to employ a person who is good at logical thinking and problem solving?

A little about me: I am not particularly outstanding when it comes to gpa or experience, but i am very good at problem solving and logical/lateral thinking. I feel like i could be good at any job I find, but I have no idea what to look for. Any help is welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
With a B.S. in physics you are probably going to be looking at the same pool of generic jobs that any B.S. holder can apply for. There aren't really any jobs that are well suited for a B.S. in physics, so you just have to slug it out with the rest of the majors. If you are lucky you can out compete an engineer for an engineering job. Otherwise, compete with the business grads for a bank teller position or compete with the psychology grads for a social service position.

Physics majors just about always get the degree to go into graduate school for a PhD. That is the only job that a Physics B.S. really prepares you for; Physics PhD student. If that is not something you want then consider graduate school for something else. You really need to some type of graduate degree in some type of specialty to make you physics degree marketable.

1. What is career guidance?

Career guidance is a process of helping individuals make informed decisions about their career path. It involves assessing one's skills, interests, and values, exploring different career options, and developing a plan to achieve career goals.

2. Where can I look for career guidance?

There are various resources available for career guidance, including career counselors, career centers, online career assessments, job shadowing, informational interviews, and career workshops. You can also seek guidance from mentors, family members, and friends.

3. What should I look for in a career?

When considering a career, you should look for a field that aligns with your interests, values, and strengths. You should also consider the job market demand, potential for growth and advancement, work-life balance, and salary potential.

4. How can I make a successful career change?

Making a successful career change involves self-reflection, identifying transferable skills, researching new industries and job roles, networking, gaining relevant experience, and continuously learning and developing new skills. It is crucial to have a plan and seek guidance from professionals during the transition.

5. Is it ever too late to seek career guidance?

No, it is never too late to seek career guidance. The process of career development is a lifelong journey, and individuals can benefit from guidance at any stage of their career. It is never too late to make changes and pursue a fulfilling and successful career path.