When to use RREF in finding Eigenvectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of RREF in finding eigenvectors. The speaker mentions that it is sometimes used and sometimes not, and asks for clarification on when it should be used. The responder suggests that having one in the pivot position may make it easier to write the system in parametric vector form. They also mention that the row reduced form of a matrix may not have the same eigenvalues as the original matrix.
selig5560
Hi,

I have a quick question, when should one use RREF in finding eigvenvectors? I've read through some books and sometimes they use them and sometimes they do not. I'm sorry for such a potentially stupid question.

Thanks,

Zubin

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be that having one in the pivot position position makes it easier to write system in parametric vector form. Otherwise row echelon form would suffice.

Last edited:
Where did you find that "they sometimes use them"? The row reduced form of a matrix does NOT in general have the same eigenvalues as the original matrix so I do see how row reducing could help.

1. When should I use RREF in finding eigenvectors?

RREF, or reduced row echelon form, is used in finding eigenvectors when solving linear systems of equations. It allows for a simplified and organized method to find the eigenvectors by reducing the matrix into a triangular form.

2. How do I use RREF to find eigenvectors?

To use RREF to find eigenvectors, first create an augmented matrix by combining the matrix of coefficients with the identity matrix. Then, reduce the augmented matrix to RREF using row operations. The eigenvectors can then be found from the RREF matrix by looking at the columns corresponding to the identity matrix.

3. Can I use RREF to find eigenvectors for any matrix?

Yes, RREF can be used to find eigenvectors for any square matrix. However, it may not always result in distinct eigenvectors, as some matrices may have repeated eigenvalues.

4. Is RREF the only way to find eigenvectors?

No, there are other methods to find eigenvectors such as diagonalization and using the characteristic polynomial. However, RREF is a commonly used method because it is straightforward and can be easily implemented using computer algorithms.

5. Can RREF be used to find complex eigenvectors?

Yes, RREF can be used to find complex eigenvectors. However, when working with complex numbers, it is important to use a matrix with complex coefficients and to perform row operations using complex arithmetic.