Intuitive explanation for the general determinant formula?

In summary, the determinant can be defined as a formula or as a unique alternating multilinear functional. It represents a signed volume and can be used to calculate the area of a parallelogram or the volume of a parallelepiped. Its properties force it to have the formula that it does, and it can also be understood through a geometric approach using differential forms.
jjepsuomi
Hello

Could anyone give an intuitive explanation of the determinant? I know mostly what the determinant means and I can calculate it etc. But I have never got any real-world intuitive explanation of the general formula of the determinant?

How is the formula derived? Where does it come from? What I'm essentially asking is: Prove the general formula for calculating the determinant of an n-by-n matrix and explain the meaning of it

Any support = Thank you so much! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Often the determinant is just defined by the formula:
[tex]\det(a_{ij}) = \sum_{\sigma \in S_n} \mathrm{sgn}(\sigma)a_{1\sigma(1)} \cdots a_{n\sigma(n)}[/tex]
On the other hand, if you define the determinant as the unique alternating multilinear functional [itex]\det:\mathbb{R}^n \times \cdots \times \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] (where the product is taken n-times) satisfying [itex]\det(I) = 1[/itex], then you can recover the formula above for the determinant.

Edit: I suppose this is not really an intuitive explanation, but hopefully it helps a little.

Last edited:
A nice and intuitive explanation of the determinant is that it just represents a signed volume.

For example, given the vectors (a,b) and (c,d) in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. Then we can look at the parallelogram formed by (0,0), (a,b), (c,d) and (a+c,b+d). The area of this parallellogram is given by the absolute value of

[tex]det \left(\begin{array}{cc} a & b\\ c & d \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Of course the determinant has a sign as well. This is why we call the determinant the signed volume. That is: if we exchange (a,b) and (c,d), then we get the opposite area. The sign is useful for determining orientation.

welcome to pf!

hello jjepsuomi! welcome to pf! :smile:

i suggest you start in 2D and 3D by considering how the determinant relates the the area of a rectangle to the area of the transformed parallelogram or the volume of a cube to the volume of the transformed parallelepiped,

and then how you'd apply that in n dimensions, and how it affects integration after a transformation :wink:

saying it is an oriented volume measure implies it should be a multilinear and alternating function. these properties force the formula to be what it is, if you assume the value is 1 on a unit cube. determinants are developed in complete detail starting on p. 62 of these notes.

http://www.math.uga.edu/%7Eroy/4050sum08.pdffor geometric intuition you might look at the book by david bachmann on geometric approach to differential forms.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817683038/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the general determinant formula?

The general determinant formula is a mathematical expression used to calculate the determinant of a square matrix. It is a scalar value that represents certain properties of the matrix, such as its volume, area or transformation properties.

2. How is the general determinant formula derived?

The general determinant formula is derived using various algebraic techniques, such as cofactor expansion and row reduction. It is based on the properties of determinants, such as linearity and multiplicity, and can be applied to matrices of any size.

3. Why is the general determinant formula important?

The general determinant formula is important because it has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, invert matrices, and calculate areas and volumes in geometry.

4. Can the general determinant formula be applied to all matrices?

Yes, the general determinant formula can be applied to all square matrices of any size. However, it is important to note that the formula only applies to square matrices, which have the same number of rows and columns.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating determinants?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating determinants, such as using the LU decomposition method or the Gaussian elimination method. However, the general determinant formula is the most commonly used method and can be applied to a wide range of matrices.