Puzzled about characteristic polynomial output from my calc

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is an ex-math major and still enjoys learning about mathematics in their spare time. They recently got a new calculator and are puzzled about the output when calculating characteristic polynomials. They discuss the possibility of a mistake and clarify that there is a difference in the definition of the characteristic polynomial in different texts. They conclude that the difference in definition is not significant and can be resolved by multiplying by -1.
AdamR
Hello everyone, first time poster, long time reader here!

I'm an ex-math major and while I'm no longer pursuing a degree anymore in mathematics, I still continue onwards in my spare time trying to learn as much as I can about it because it's always been something I've enjoyed partaking in and sharing the knowledge with others. I did manage to pull off three years of classes at my university while as a math major. I have a pretty firm grip with calc/odes/(beginning) pdes, intro linear algebra, basic proofs and logic, intro group theory, intro complex analysis, and some very basic topology.

I decided to treat myself with an early X-Mas present of a new calculator (ti-nspire cx cas); been trying to follow along with the examples given in the manual. Anyway, I'm just puzzled about the output on my calc regarding calculating char polynomials. It currently has the operation defined as [itex]p_{A}(\lambda) = det(\lambda * I - A)[/itex] with I as the nxn ident matrix, A is any nxn square matrix. When I use the charPoly function on the calculator with the matrix [itex]A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 3 & 0\\ 2 & -1 & 0\\ -2 & 2 & 5 \end{array}\right)[/itex], the calc outputs [itex]-\lambda^3+5\lambda^2+7\lambda-35[/itex]

When I try to do it by hand, my answer is off by a factor of -1. Hopefully someone can point out to me where my mistake is:

So I get [itex]\lambda*I - A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc} \lambda-1 & -3 & 0\\ -2 & \lambda+1 & 0\\ 2 & -2 & \lambda-5 \end{array}\right)[/itex]

[itex]det(\lambda*I - A) = (\lambda - 1) \left|\begin{array}{cc} \lambda+1 & 0\\ -2 & \lambda-5 \end{array}\right| + 3 \left|\begin{array}{cc} -2 & 0\\ 2 & \lambda-5 \end{array}\right| [/itex]

[itex]= (\lambda-1)(\lambda+1)(\lambda-5)+3[-2(\lambda-5)][/itex]

[itex] = \lambda^3 -5\lambda^2 - 7\lambda + 35[/itex]

Not really that big of a deal per se, just trying to find where I've made a mistake; any insight would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Hands down, PF is one of the BEST sites out there! :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation seems correct.

Somehow I think that your calculator defines the characteristic polynomial as [itex]\det(A-\lambda I)[/itex]. And not as [itex]\det(\lambda I -A)[/itex] like the manual claims.

Can you test this by finding the characteristic polynomial of the [itex]3\times 3[/itex] zero matrix?? Under your definition, it should be [itex]\lambda^3[/itex].

micromass said:
Your calculation seems correct.

Somehow I think that your calculator defines the characteristic polynomial as [itex]\det(A-\lambda I)[/itex]. And not as [itex]\det(\lambda I -A)[/itex] like the manual claims.

Can you test this by finding the characteristic polynomial of the [itex]3\times 3[/itex] zero matrix?? Under your definition, it should be [itex]\lambda^3[/itex].

Hmm this is quite funky...
[itex]\det(A-\lambda I)[/itex] yields [itex]-\lambda^3[/itex], the same as if I were to output it with the charPoly() function. However, when I type in [itex]\det(\lambda I -A)[/itex], it spits out [itex]\lambda^3[/itex]

Even after clearing out any stored variables/history and resetting it, nothing changes. Wonder if it's a kink with the software?

It looks like a kink in the documentation, not the software.

The characteristic polymonial should be ##\det(A - \lambda I)##, as Micromass said.

Some texts define the characteristic polynomial as ##det(A-λI)##, others as ##det(λI-A)##. So both you and your software are correct, or rather, neither is more right than the other.
It has little practical significance, since these two only differ with a factor ##-1##, if ##n## (the size of the matrix) is odd.

It's the same thing. You can just multiply by -1. The polynomial is equal to 0, so yeah.

1. What is a characteristic polynomial and why is it important?

A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial equation that is used to find the eigenvalues of a matrix. Eigenvalues are important because they help us understand the behavior of a system or matrix.

2. How do I calculate the characteristic polynomial using my calculator?

Most scientific calculators have a function to calculate the characteristic polynomial. Typically, you will need to input the matrix or its coefficients and then use the appropriate function or menu option to find the characteristic polynomial.

3. What does the output of the characteristic polynomial represent?

The output of the characteristic polynomial represents the possible eigenvalues of the matrix. These values can give insight into the behavior and properties of the matrix.

4. Can the characteristic polynomial have complex roots?

Yes, the characteristic polynomial can have complex roots. This is because the eigenvalues of a matrix can be complex numbers, representing both real and imaginary parts.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using the characteristic polynomial to find eigenvalues?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when using the characteristic polynomial. One limitation is that it can only be used for square matrices. Additionally, the characteristic polynomial may not always give accurate or complete information about the eigenvalues, so it should be used in conjunction with other methods for finding eigenvalues.