Fourier series (2 same functions different inequality signs)

In summary, the conversation discusses whether two functions with the same Fourier series will be identical because they look the same when graphed. The conversation also touches on the relevance of the integral in determining the series coefficients and whether changing the value of a function at a finite number of points will affect the result. The conclusion is that altering a function at a finite number of points will not change the integral or the Fourier coefficients, leading to the understanding that these two functions will have the same Fourier series.
izen

Homework Statement

Untitled.jpg

these two functions will give the same Fourier series? because when I write the graph they look the same?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

in the picture

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The series coefficients are defined by an integral. If you change the value of a function at a finite number of points, can the integral give you a different result?

jbunniii said:
The series coefficients are defined by an integral. If you change the value of a function at a finite number of points, can the integral give you a different result?

I think integral give a different result so they are different ? not 100% sure

because in my lecture note all the example are < ,> there is no single example has <=, >=. so when I tried to do some exercise there are <=, >= on the functions so it kinda confused me. please explain more

Last edited:
izen said:
I think integral give a different result so they are different ? not 100% sure
No, you can change a function at a finite number of points, and the integral will still be the same. So your Fourier coefficients will be the same for both functions.

jbunniii said:
No, you can change a function at a finite number of points, and the integral will still be the same. So your Fourier coefficients will be the same for both functions.

thank you

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is used to approximate any periodic function with a combination of simpler trigonometric functions.

2. What is the purpose of using Fourier series?

The main purpose of using Fourier series is to analyze and model periodic phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to decompose complex functions into simpler components, making it easier to study and understand them.

3. How is a Fourier series different from a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is used to represent a periodic function, while a Fourier transform is used to analyze a non-periodic function. Additionally, a Fourier series uses discrete frequencies, while a Fourier transform uses continuous frequencies.

4. Can a Fourier series accurately represent any function?

No, a Fourier series can only accurately represent functions that are periodic. Non-periodic functions cannot be represented using a Fourier series, but they can be analyzed using a Fourier transform.

5. How do you calculate the coefficients of a Fourier series?

The coefficients of a Fourier series can be calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the function over one period and dividing by the period. Alternatively, there are also tables and software programs available that can calculate the coefficients for more complex functions.