Optimization Problem, Laying down electrical lines (Multivariable)

In summary, the conversation discusses optimizing a multivariate function with three variables, and the need to limit the variables to a certain value in order to solve the problem. The total cost function is expressed in terms of two of the unknowns, and the derivative is taken with respect to those variables. There is also a suggestion to do additional research on multivariable optimization if needed.
WalkTex

Homework Statement

power_line_problem.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture.png

I am not really sure how to optimize it from here. What should I be taking the derivative of the price function with respect to ??

Physics news on Phys.org
WalkTex said:

Homework Statement

power_line_problem.png

Homework Equations

Capture.png

I am not really sure how to optimize it from here. What should I be taking the derivative of the price function with respect to ??

Your total cost function C is a function of three variables (a,b,c). What do you know about optimizing multivariate functions? If your answer is that you don't know how to do it, then you need to do some reading; either look in a textbook, or search on-line (for example, by using Google search words 'multivariable optimization' or something similar).

WalkTex said:

Homework Statement

power_line_problem.png

Homework Equations

Capture.png

How far to the right is the point Q from the point P? Perhaps it doesn't matter, but you need to limit a+b+c to some value to work the problem. So you have an additional equation a+b+c =D. That will let you express the total price in terms of two of the unknowns a,b,c. Differentiate with respect to them.

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem involves finding the best solution for a given set of constraints and objectives. In this particular case, it involves determining the most efficient way to lay down electrical lines.

2. What are the variables involved in laying down electrical lines?

The variables involved in this optimization problem would include the distance and location of the electrical lines, the cost of materials and labor, and any regulatory or environmental constraints.

3. How do you approach a multivariable optimization problem?

To solve a multivariable optimization problem, you would need to define the objective function and the constraints, and then use mathematical techniques such as calculus or linear programming to find the optimal solution.

4. What are the benefits of optimizing the placement of electrical lines?

Optimizing the placement of electrical lines can lead to cost savings, improved efficiency, and reduced environmental impact. It can also help ensure reliable and consistent electricity supply.

5. Are there any potential challenges or limitations in optimizing the placement of electrical lines?

Some potential challenges or limitations could include limited access to certain areas, terrain or weather conditions, and conflicting objectives or constraints from different stakeholders. Gathering accurate data and predicting future needs may also be difficult.