Raoult's Law and volume changes

• Thread starter sgstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of vapour pressure in an enclosed container when the volume is increased. It is noted that for a pure liquid, the vapour pressure remains constant, but for a mixture of liquids A and B, the partial vapour pressures may change after expansion. This can be explained using modeling and Raoult's Law.
sgstudent
When I have a pure liquid in an enclosed container, there is a fixed vapour pressure at a specific temperature. So if i were to increase the volume of the container, more liquid would turn into a vapour to go back to the same vapour pressure as before the expansion occurs.

However, if i had a mixture of liquids A and B. When I expand it what would happen? now PA =Xx PA° so PA° is fixed but what about the PSUB]A[/SUB] ? Would it stay the same as before? Similarly for PB would it remain the same such that the total vapour pressure remains the same?

I can't think of a reason why it should or should not remain the same though. For a pure liquid it makes sense that it should stay constant, but when it is a mixture of liquid I'm not too sure if the partial vapour pressure of the 2 liquids would remain the same after expansion. Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks for the help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
This question can be answered using modeling by doing the calculation described for a mixture that obeys Raoult's Law. Certainly, even if the temperature were held constant, the pressure would not remain constant unless the equilibrium vapor pressures of the two species were the same.

1. What is Raoult's Law?

Raoult's Law is a scientific law that describes the relationship between the vapor pressure of a liquid and the mole fraction of its components in a solution. It states that the vapor pressure of a solvent in a solution is directly proportional to its mole fraction, assuming ideal behavior.

2. How does Raoult's Law relate to volume changes?

Raoult's Law can be used to predict the change in volume of a solution when a solute is added. This is because as the mole fraction of the solvent decreases, its vapor pressure also decreases, resulting in a decrease in its volume.

3. Can Raoult's Law be applied to all solutions?

No, Raoult's Law is only applicable to ideal solutions, where the interactions between the solute and solvent molecules are similar. In real solutions, there may be deviations from Raoult's Law due to non-ideal behavior.

4. How does temperature affect Raoult's Law and volume changes?

According to Raoult's Law, the vapor pressure of a solvent increases as temperature increases. This means that as the temperature of a solution increases, the volume of the solution may also increase due to the increase in vapor pressure of the solvent.

5. How can Raoult's Law be experimentally determined?

Raoult's Law can be experimentally determined by measuring the vapor pressure of the solvent in a solution at various mole fractions and plotting the data on a graph. The slope of the vapor pressure versus mole fraction graph will be equal to the vapor pressure of the pure solvent, which can be used to calculate the change in volume of the solution.