Exploring Alternative Materials for 3D Dental Scanning

In summary, the dental lab just got a new 3D scanner that can scan in models of teeth. The scanner requires some type of spray or powder to be put on the models so that the camera can see them well. The powder is expensive and some people have complained that the manufacturers were cheating them by requiring that their powder be purchased. Other people have tried recycling the powder, but it doesn't seem to work very well.
justinreeves
Hello, currently I work at a dental lab, we just got in a new 3D scanner that scans in models of peoples teeth so that we can build crowns for the prepped teeth. I was told that it is a IR scanner. We have to put some type of spray or powder on the models so that the camera can see them good.
This material is expensiv due to it being in the dental industry. i want to find a alternative material but do not know what things to use or try.
If this isn't the correct forum for this question which do you suggest.?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've recently done a module in this kind of thing, I'll have my notes handy in a few days time.

As I recall, the powder you use doesn't matter too much. It should be non-reflective and have a matte finish. I think grey is the colour of choice, but I have seen some (much larger) applications where white is used. I heard that the manufacturers were skanking a load of people (just like your lab, by the sounds of things) by requiring that their powder was purchased.

Have you tried recycling the powder, or does it stick pretty well to your models?

Actually the powder doesn't work as well, they have the same thing in a aresol can, and it works better.
They also make a powder that is used to make model work out of, which will work with the scanner.
i have taken the packs of powder and sprayed them through a airbrush w/ alcohol.
It works really well and is far less expensive than a 2 oz. aresol @$180.00

more like $10 and last 100* longer.

I also have tried a powder from a similar machine that uses a laser instead of a IR camera, it looked like a metallic powder, like eye shadow makeup.
It didnt work.

Anything metallic (reflective) won't work.

I would like to see your notes, that would be cool.

1. What are the benefits of using alternative materials for 3D dental scanning?

Using alternative materials for 3D dental scanning can provide numerous benefits such as lower cost, increased precision, and improved patient comfort. These materials are often more affordable than traditional materials, making them a cost-effective option for dental practices. They also have a higher level of accuracy, allowing for more precise and detailed scans. Additionally, alternative materials can be more comfortable for patients, reducing discomfort and potential gagging.

2. What types of alternative materials are commonly used for 3D dental scanning?

Some common alternative materials used for 3D dental scanning include dental stone, gypsum, and resin. These materials are typically used to create dental models, which are then scanned using 3D technology. Other materials that are gaining popularity include ceramic and metal, which are being used to create more durable and long-lasting dental prosthetics.

3. Are alternative materials as reliable as traditional materials for 3D dental scanning?

Yes, alternative materials have been extensively studied and tested, and have been found to be just as reliable as traditional materials for 3D dental scanning. In fact, some studies have shown that alternative materials have even higher levels of accuracy and precision, making them a preferred choice for many dental professionals.

4. How do alternative materials impact the overall 3D dental scanning process?

Using alternative materials for 3D dental scanning can significantly impact the overall process in a positive way. These materials are easier to work with, allowing for faster and more efficient scanning. They also produce more detailed and accurate scans, which can lead to better treatment planning and outcomes for patients.

5. Are there any limitations to using alternative materials for 3D dental scanning?

While alternative materials have many benefits, they do have some limitations. For example, some materials may not be suitable for certain types of dental restorations or prosthetics. Additionally, the availability of these materials may be limited in some areas. It is important for dental professionals to carefully consider the specific needs of their patients and the materials available before choosing to use alternative materials for 3D dental scanning.