An integral relation in soil physics

In summary: Integrals in the numerator?In summary, if you know h and K, you can calculate S using a formula like: I(S) = \left(\frac{\int_0^S h^{-\kappa}\,dx}{\int_0^1 h^{-\kappa}\,dx}\right)^{\beta} for any 0 \leq S \leq 1.
re444
Hi every one,

Here is my question: In soil physics, knowing the relation between suction head, h, and the soil water content, S, one can derive the hydraulic conductivity, K, of that soil using a formula like:

1znpn6f.png

(ignore the superscripts "cap")
where in my problem, τ=0.5, κ=1, β=2.

Now what if we need the reverse procedure? If I have the relation between h and K, and want to calculate S, how it is possible?

Thanks in advance,
Mohammad

Physics news on Phys.org
Iteration is one way.

You know K on the LHS of the equation, and you have h as a function of x, along with the constants tau, kappa, and beta. The integral in the denominator seems to be a fixed quantity, but the value of the integral in the numerator depends on the value of S for the upper limit.

The engineering approach, would be to assume different values of the parameter S and calculate the LHS and the RHS of the equation, or re-write the equation as LHS - RHS = 0. Then you can iterate until a particular value of S makes this relation arbitrarily close to zero.

You could probably put together a spreadsheet to calculate the value of the expression for various input values of S.

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
Iteration is one way.

You know K on the LHS of the equation, and you have h as a function of x, along with the constants tau, kappa, and beta. The integral in the denominator seems to be a fixed quantity, but the value of the integral in the numerator depends on the value of S for the upper limit.

The engineering approach, would be to assume different values of the parameter S and calculate the LHS and the RHS of the equation, or re-write the equation as LHS - RHS = 0. Then you can iterate until a particular value of S makes this relation arbitrarily close to zero.

You could probably put together a spreadsheet to calculate the value of the expression for various input values of S.

The issue here is in the reverse procedure we don't have any knowledge about the relation between h and x (or in fact h and S), so the integrals could not be calculated. How about this?

If I have the relation between h and K, and want to calculate S, how it is possible?

If you know [itex]h : [0,1] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex], [itex]\kappa[/itex], [itex]\tau[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex], then you can calculate [tex]
I(S) = \left(\frac{\int_0^S h^{-\kappa}\,dx}{\int_0^1 h^{-\kappa}\,dx}\right)^{\beta}[/tex] for any [itex]0 \leq S \leq 1[/itex] and from that you can solve [tex]
K = S^\beta I(S)[/tex] numerically for [itex]S[/itex]. (I'm assuming here that only values of [itex]S[/itex] between 0 and 1 inclusive make physical sense.)

re444 said:
The issue here is in the reverse procedure we don't have any knowledge about the relation between h and x (or in fact h and S), so the integrals could not be calculated. How about this?

[itex]h[/itex] is a function of a real variable. If you can't determine [itex]h(x)[/itex] for every [itex]x[/itex] in the domain then there is no sense in which you know [itex]h[/itex]. Thus you can't calculate [itex]I(S)[/itex] for any [itex]S[/itex] other than the trivial [itex]I(0) = 0[/itex] (if [itex]\beta > 0[/itex]) and [itex]I(1) = 1[/itex]. If you can't calculate [itex]I(S)[/itex] you have no hope of solving [itex]K = S^{\tau}I(S)[/itex] for [itex]S[/itex].

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
If you know [itex]h : [0,1] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex], [itex]\kappa[/itex], [itex]\tau[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex], then you can calculate [tex]
I(S) = \left(\frac{\int_0^S h^{-\kappa}\,dx}{\int_0^1 h^{-\kappa}\,dx}\right)^{\beta}[/tex] for any [itex]0 \leq S \leq 1[/itex] and from that you can solve [tex]
K = S^\beta I(S)[/tex] numerically for [itex]S[/itex]. (I'm assuming here that only values of [itex]S[/itex] between 0 and 1 inclusive make physical sense.)

[itex]h[/itex] is a function of a real variable. If you can't determine [itex]h(x)[/itex] for every [itex]x[/itex] in the domain then there is no sense in which you know [itex]h[/itex]. Thus you can't calculate [itex]I(S)[/itex] for any [itex]S[/itex] other than the trivial [itex]I(0) = 0[/itex] (if [itex]\beta > 0[/itex]) and [itex]I(1) = 1[/itex]. If you can't calculate [itex]I(S)[/itex] you have no hope of solving [itex]K = S^{\tau}I(S)[/itex] for [itex]S[/itex].

In [itex]h(x)[/itex], x is a dummy variable of integration (in calculating K , when the known relation [itex]h(S)[/itex] is available, S is replaced by x in the integrands. So [itex]h(x)[/itex] or [itex]h(S)[/itex] is exactly what we are looking for.

I've gone a bit further to get this: (assuming τ=0.5, κ=1, β=2)

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} S} \int_{0}^{S}\frac{1}{h(x))}dx=\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{h(x))}dx \cdot \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} S} \left ( \sqrt{\frac{K_{r}}{\sqrt{S}}} \right ) [/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow

\frac{1}{h(S))}=\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{h(x))}dx \cdot \frac{\sqrt{S}\frac{dK}{dh}\cdot \frac{dh}{dS}-\frac{K}{2\sqrt{S}}}{2\sqrt{\frac{K}{\sqrt{S}}}} [/itex]

now knowing the K and [itex]\frac{dK}{dh} [/itex], the last equation seems to be an ODE but in this stage I don't know what to do with the [itex]\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{h(x))}dx[/itex] ?

Can I in someway handle that?

1. What is an integral relation in soil physics?

An integral relation in soil physics is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between different physical properties of soil, such as moisture content, density, and porosity. It is used to understand and predict how these properties change over time and under different conditions.

2. What is the importance of an integral relation in soil physics?

An integral relation in soil physics is crucial for understanding the behavior of soil, which is essential for various applications such as agriculture, construction, and environmental studies. It helps scientists and engineers make informed decisions about soil management and conservation.

3. How is an integral relation derived in soil physics?

An integral relation in soil physics is derived using mathematical models and experimental data. These models are based on fundamental principles of physics and consider factors such as soil type, environmental conditions, and time. The resulting equation is then validated using field or laboratory experiments.

4. Can an integral relation be applied to all types of soil?

Yes, an integral relation in soil physics is applicable to all types of soil, including sandy, loamy, and clay soils. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the characteristics of the soil, such as texture, structure, and composition.

5. How does an integral relation help in soil management?

An integral relation in soil physics can help in soil management by providing insights into how different factors, such as irrigation, fertilization, and compaction, affect soil properties. This information can be used to optimize soil management practices and improve crop productivity, soil stability, and water conservation.