Understanding the Difference between Displacement and Distance in Kinematics

In summary, displacement and distance are two different concepts that involve the movement of a particle. Distance only cares about the total amount of movement without regard for direction, while displacement takes into account the direction of movement. This can be compared to the difference between speed and velocity. In your example, the distance traveled is the total length of the arc of the circle, while the displacement is the vector difference between the final and initial position. It is important to understand these concepts in order to accurately describe and analyze motion.
Vibhor
I am quite confused between displacement and distance .

Suppose a particle travels along a semi circular path or radius 3 m with a constant speed 5 m/s starting from one end of the diameter A and ending at the opposite end B . Origin is at the center of the circular path.

Case 1) Let the particle travel a distance ds in time dt .Then ##ds=3dθ## →##\int ds=\int_0^\pi 3dθ## → ## s = 3\pi ## .Hence distance traveled ## s = 3\pi##

Case 2) Let the particle travel a distance ds in time dt .Then ##ds=vdt## → ##\int ds=\int_0^t 5dt## → ##\int ds = 5\int_0^{\frac{3\pi}{5}}dt## .Hence distance traveled ## s = 3\pi##

Case 3) The position vector of the particle is given by $$ \vec {r} = 3cosθ\hat{i}+3sinθ\hat{j}$$

$$ \frac{\vec {dr}}{dt} = -3sinθ\frac{dθ}{dt}\hat{i}+3cosθ\frac{dθ}{dt}\hat{j} $$

$$ \vec{v} = -3sinθ\frac{dθ}{dt}\hat{i}+3cosθ\frac{dθ}{dt}\hat{j} $$

$$ \int \vec{dr} = \int \vec{v}dt $$

$$ \int \vec{dr} = \int_0^\pi-3sinθdθ\hat{i}+\int_0^\pi3cosθdθ\hat{j} $$

$$ \int \vec{dr} = -6\hat{i}$$ which is vector difference between final and initial position vectors.

My doubts are
1) Why is ##ds## different from ##\vec{dr}## .Shouldn't ## \int \vec{dr}## and ## \int ds## ,both give distance between the initial and final position .

2) What exactly does ## \int \vec{dr}## tell us ?

3) Can we not calculate distance traveled by a body by using kinematics equations ,which invariably give displacement ?

Please help me in understanding these concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's really no need to do integrals for this problem. Really the problem is the understanding of the difference between displacement and distance. Distance only cares about the total amount of moving that you do, without regard for direction. Displacement cares about the direction in which you are moving.

The difference is exactly analogous to speed and velocity. Speed cares only about the absolute quickness with which you move, while velocity cares about the direction.

Therefore, if I walked 5 steps to the right, and then walked 5 steps to the left, ending up where I started, my distance traveled is 10 steps (just add all the motion I was involved in), while my displacement is 0. This is how these concepts are defined.

As for your example, the distance traveled is along the circle. You add up the entire length of the arc of the circle that you traveled since distance doesn't care about direction. In this case you get ##3\pi## meters which should be easy enough to obtain without integrating anything. The displacement, which you noted in your post, is simply the difference between the final position and the initial position because now I DO care about directions! In this case, it's also quite simple to see that the displacement is -6i meters.

SO even though I've walked a DISTANCE of ##3\pi\approx 9.28m>6m##, I've only made a DISPLACEMENT of 6m to the left because some of my motion (namely the vertical motion that I've made) has canceled out from the two sides of the arc.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement and distance are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in science. Distance is the total path traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight-line distance between an object's starting point and ending point.

2. How is displacement measured?

Displacement is measured in units of length, such as meters or feet. It can be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position of an object.

3. What is the importance of displacement in physics?

Displacement is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand an object's change in position and its motion. It is used in many equations to calculate velocity, acceleration, and other physical quantities.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. It indicates that an object has moved in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object starts at position 5 meters and ends at position 3 meters, its displacement would be -2 meters.

5. How does displacement differ from velocity?

Displacement is a measure of an object's change in position, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion, while displacement only considers the straight-line distance between two points.