What are the practical applications of symmetric equations?

• Thread starter mill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetric
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of symmetric equations in finding intercepts and other instances where it may be helpful or necessary to use this form. The speaker also suggests that they have not encountered any other uses for this way of expressing the equation of a line and suggests seeking input from someone in math for other potential applications.
mill
It seems that the only applicable use I've seen is in finding intercepts on various axes. Are there any other instances where this form would used? What else can this be used for?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be more specific.

Matterwave said:
You have to be more specific.

I haven't seen symmetric equations used for anything but finding intercepts, but they can be found using the parametric equations as well. I was wondering in what other instances would it be helpful/necessary to use this form. E.g. a linear equation is helpful when there are certain terms vs point slope

By symmetric equation, do you mean a symmetric function? Like f(x)=x^2? Symmetric about what? This is what I meant by "more specific". Maybe you have a textbook with pictures to show?

As it stands, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Matterwave said:
By symmetric equation, do you mean a symmetric function? Like f(x)=x^2? Symmetric about what? This is what I meant by "more specific". Maybe you have a textbook with pictures to show?

As it stands, I have no idea what you're talking about.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/EqnsOfLines.aspx Symmetric equations of the line

Ok, well, as you can probably figure out by the fact that I don't even recall this terminology, I have never encountered another use for this way of expressing the equation of a line. But I am in physics. Maybe someone in math will know of some applications.

What is a symmetric equation?

A symmetric equation is an equation that remains unchanged when one or more variables are replaced by their negative values. This means that the two sides of the equation are mirror images of each other.

What are some common uses for symmetric equations in science?

Symmetric equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe symmetrical systems or objects. They can also be used in chemistry to describe the structure and behavior of molecules.

How are symmetric equations different from other types of equations?

In a symmetric equation, the order of the terms does not matter. This is because the equation will remain unchanged when the terms are rearranged. In other types of equations, such as linear equations, the order of the terms does matter.

Can symmetric equations be used in real-world applications?

Yes, symmetric equations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. They can be used to model various natural phenomena and to solve real-world problems.

Are there any limitations to using symmetric equations?

While symmetric equations are useful for describing symmetrical systems, they may not be applicable to non-symmetrical systems. Additionally, the solutions to symmetric equations may not always be unique, which can be a limitation in certain situations.