How would you explain the Special Theory of Relativity using Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a book on relativity that uses physics to explain it, with some suggestions being offered for high school level and advanced level. The importance of understanding special relativity through spacetime diagrams is emphasized, along with recommendations for specific books on the topic. The conversation also briefly touches on the book "Exploring Black Holes: Introduction to General Relativity" which has more prerequisites, but is considered highly valuable.
Gamecubesupreme
Everywhere I read, they are all about the history of the theory or the impact, I can't find a site that actually uses Physics concept to explain it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The book I have is "Einstein's Theory of Relativity," by Max Born, a Dover paperback. This takes a long time working up to the theory (the Michelson Morley experiment is on page 215) and begins with classic physics. Maybe it would be helpful, then again, I am not exactly sure what it is you are seeking.

What's your background?

Try Resnick Holiday for problem solving on Relativity.I did my solving frm it.

I can't imagine a book on relativity that doesn't use physics to explain it! It is, after all, physics. What do you mean by "uses physics to explain it"?
I have a suspicion that you mean "doesn't have any mathematical formulas at all".

Check a physics textbook rather than the internet.

HallsofIvy said:
I can't imagine a book on relativity that doesn't use physics to explain it! It is, after all, physics. What do you mean by "uses physics to explain it"?
I have a suspicion that you mean "doesn't have any mathematical formulas at all".

HallsofIvy's conclusion is the same as mine. Honestly, the math involved in special relativity is really not terribly difficult, however, so pushing to understand it mathematically is worth it.

We seem to have lost Gamecube. If we assume he's at a high school level, what would the best book be? If he has some calculus, what would the best book be? I'm a bit fond of Bondi's "Relativity and common sense" for the former, and have heard many good things about Taylor & Wheeler's "Space-time Physics" for the later, though I don't own it (I've glanced at it in the bookstore). I may be wrong about it requiring calculus too.

For HS level, I'd suggest
Bondi,
Geroch, General Relativity from A to B

Advanced-HS or introductory undergraduate... one can skim over the parts that need calculus...
Taylor and Wheeler, Spacetime Physics (the maroon 1966 edition with solutions)
Ellis and Williams, Flat and Curved Space-Times,
Moore, A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime,
(a subset appears in Six Ideas That Shaped Physics: Unit R - Laws of Physics are Frame-Independent )

A common theme in these books is the emphasis on the Spacetime Diagram, geometrical interpretations, and operational definitions. (The Lorentz transformations take a back seat to the Spacetime Diagram.)

My $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you explain the Special Theory of Relativity using Physics?
It's all very simple. Special relativity can be derived with moving rulers in such a way that the astonishing connection between space and time can be clearly understood.

http://www.everythingimportant.org/relativity/

robphy said:
For HS level, I'd suggest
Bondi,
Geroch, General Relativity from A to B

Advanced-HS or introductory undergraduate... one can skim over the parts that need calculus...
Taylor and Wheeler, Spacetime Physics (the maroon 1966 edition with solutions)
Ellis and Williams, Flat and Curved Space-Times,
Moore, A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime,
(a subset appears in Six Ideas That Shaped Physics: Unit R - Laws of Physics are Frame-Independent )

A common theme in these books is the emphasis on the Spacetime Diagram, geometrical interpretations, and operational definitions. (The Lorentz transformations take a back seat to the Spacetime Diagram.)

My $0.02

The books on your list are all favourites of mine :smile: . Spacetime diagrams on which key events are carefully indentified and invariance of the interval go a long, long way. Then, Lorentz contraction and time dilation formulae, which students often use the wrong way around, don't have to be taught as separate concepts.

I would add one book that the title of the thread exculdes - Exploring Black Holes: Introduction to General Relativity. This book does have more prerequisites than the other book - first-year physics and calculus, and some special relativity - but the payoff for this added investment is huge.

Regards,
George

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity is a fundamental theory in physics proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It explains the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the motion of objects.

2. How does the Special Theory of Relativity differ from classical physics?

The Special Theory of Relativity differs from classical physics in that it introduces the concept of space-time instead of treating space and time as separate entities. It also states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocities.

3. What is the principle of relativity in the Special Theory of Relativity?

The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that there is no preferred frame of reference in the universe and the laws of physics are consistent and universal.

4. How does the Special Theory of Relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

The Special Theory of Relativity explains time dilation as the slowing down of time for objects that are moving at high speeds. As an object's velocity increases, its perception of time slows down, and this is due to the warping of space-time caused by the object's motion.

5. Can the Special Theory of Relativity be proven experimentally?

Yes, the Special Theory of Relativity has been extensively tested and proven through various experiments, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. These experiments have consistently shown that the predictions of the theory are accurate and have confirmed its validity.