Calculating Filling Time for a Large Bottle of Water

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving measuring the time it would take to fill a large bottle with water. The solution involved converting cubic centimeters to cubic meters and using a conversion factor of 1.8 g/min to calculate the total time. The final answer was 405,836.1 minutes.
aceXstudent
Hi, I just started my school year, and we're currently on Measurements. I need help with this one problem that my teacher assigned.

The biggest bottle ever made was 193 gallons (730,505cc). If the bottle were filled with water of a density of 1000 kg/m^3 at the leisurely rate of 1.8 g/min, how long would the filling process take?

If this is not the format or if anything is incorrect in the way I typed this, sorry (notice post counts).

EDIT: I realize that [kg/(kg/min)=min], but I don't know how to get rid of the m^3 on the density part. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Every 1000kg you fill you've filled one cubic meter (m^3). Convert the 730 505cc to cubic meters to see how many you need to fill.

Okay, based on your advice I got: 405,836.1 minutes. Is it alright if you check this for me?

looks good.

Note: A quick trick for this problem is an easy to remember conversion that a cubic centimeter of water has a mass of 1g. Thus filling 1.8 g/min = 1.8 cc/min thus:

[tex] \frac{730,505 cc}{\frac{1.8 cc}{min}}} = 405,836.1 min[/tex]

They gave you that same conversion factor in the question, but in the somewhat less useful form (for this question) of 1m^3 of water = 1000kg

~Lyuokdea

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of making accurate measurements in physics?

Accurate measurements in physics allow us to obtain precise data and make reliable calculations, which are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical phenomena.

2. How do you ensure the precision of a measurement in physics?

To ensure precision, we use instruments with high accuracy and sensitivity, minimize human errors, and repeat the measurements multiple times to reduce random errors.

3. What is the difference between accuracy and precision in physics?

Accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true or accepted value, while precision refers to how close multiple measurements are to each other. A measurement can be precise but not accurate, and vice versa.

4. What are the common units of measurement used in physics?

In physics, we commonly use the International System of Units (SI) which includes units such as meters for length, kilograms for mass, and seconds for time. Other units, such as joules for energy and newtons for force, are derived from these base units.

5. How do you convert between different units in physics?

To convert between units in physics, we use conversion factors and the rules of dimensional analysis. For example, to convert from meters to centimeters, we multiply by 100 since 1 meter is equal to 100 centimeters.