Calculate Amplitude of EMF Induced by Radio Station

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an AM radio station broadcasting isotropically with an average power of 3.20 kW and a dipole receiving antenna located 4.00 miles away. The conversation also delves into calculations involving power, energy, and voltage, with a focus on finding the amplitude of the emf induced between the ends of the receiving antenna. The approach taken by the individual appears to be correct, but there may be a mistake in the formula used to link the maximum E-field and power. Further clarification on the problem may be needed.
Pepsi24chevy
Sry, i think i put this in the wrong forum last time.

Here is the problem i have been working on.

An AM radio station broadcasts isotropically (equally in all directions) with an average power of 3.20 kW. A dipole receiving antenna 70.0 cm long is at a location 4.00 miles from the transmitter. Compute the amplitude of the emf that is induced by this signal between the ends of the receiving antenna.

I got P= 3200 W
L antenna = .40m

I did A= 4pir^2 in which i get 6437.376*4pi =520748007.7

Next i know that S= energy/(area*time) but power is equal to energy/time, so I did 3200w/520748007.7 and i get 6.145006706e-6

From here i Know s= Emax/2mu_oC so i did Emax = S* 2mu_oC in which i get 6.145006706e-68 *(3*10^8)(4pi*10^-7)*2 and i get .0046332259. Now i know that Vmax= Emax(L) so i multiply that answer by .70 and i get . .00324 v or 3.24mv, but appearantly this is wrong... Where did i mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pepsi24chevy said:
Sry, i think i put this in the wrong forum last time.
Here is the problem i have been working on.
An AM radio station broadcasts isotropically (equally in all directions) with an average power of 3.20 kW. A dipole receiving antenna 70.0 cm long is at a location 4.00 miles from the transmitter. Compute the amplitude of the emf that is induced by this signal between the ends of the receiving antenna.
I got P= 3200 W
L antenna = .40m
I did A= 4pir^2 in which i get 6437.376*4pi =520748007.7
Seems correct (didn't check the numbers): the power is distributed over a sphere with radius 4 miles (to be converted in meter of course).
Next i know that S= energy/(area*time) but power is equal to energy/time, so I did 3200w/520748007.7 and i get 6.145006706e-6
Ok, so this should be the power flux per square meter at the level of the antenna (in W/m^2), which you can identify with the power flux of a plane wave by now.
From here i Know s= Emax/2mu_oC so i did Emax = S* 2mu_oC in which i get 6.145006706e-68 *(3*10^8)(4pi*10^-7)*2 and i get .0046332259. Now i know that Vmax= Emax(L) so i multiply that answer by .70 and i get . .00324 v or 3.24mv, but appearantly this is wrong... Where did i mess up?

Check the formula which links the Emax and the power: I'd suspect a quadratic relationship ! But the idea is right:

From the flux of power of an EM plane wave, you can indeed obtain the maximum E-field, which would be indeed the EMF over the distance of 70 cm.
But depending on the sophistication of the problem (the level of the course), one is maybe not interested by what would be the voltage difference between two points 70 cm apart, but by the actual voltage seen by the dipole antenna. That's quite more difficult, and I don't know enough about it myself to help you there.
If you didn't see things like equivalent cross sections of antennae and things like that, then I think your approach is, in principle, correct. But check units and numbers...
cheers,
Patrick.

1. What is the formula for calculating the amplitude of EMF induced by a radio station?

The formula for calculating the amplitude of EMF (electromotive force) induced by a radio station is given by:

EMF = B * A * ω * sin(ωt), where B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the loop, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time.

2. How do I determine the magnetic field strength of a radio station for the EMF calculation?

The magnetic field strength of a radio station can be determined by using a gaussmeter or by measuring the distance from the antenna to the loop and using the inverse square law to calculate the field strength. However, it is important to note that the magnetic field strength may vary depending on factors such as distance, obstacles, and interference.

3. Can I calculate the EMF amplitude for any radio station?

Yes, as long as the necessary variables (magnetic field strength, area of the loop, angular frequency) are known, the EMF amplitude can be calculated for any radio station. However, keep in mind that the EMF amplitude may vary depending on the location, distance from the station, and other environmental factors.

4. How does the area of the loop affect the amplitude of EMF induced by a radio station?

The area of the loop directly affects the amplitude of EMF induced by a radio station. A larger loop will have a larger area and therefore a higher EMF amplitude, while a smaller loop will have a smaller area and a lower EMF amplitude. This is because a larger area will intercept more magnetic field lines, resulting in a higher EMF.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated EMF amplitude?

The accuracy of the calculated EMF amplitude can be affected by various factors such as the accuracy of the measurement tools, the assumptions made in the calculation, and external factors such as interference or variations in the magnetic field strength. It is important to consider these factors when performing the calculation to ensure the accuracy of the results.