Designing a parachute system/device

In summary, the problem the person is trying to solve is how to activate a servo when a machine and remote looses their signal between each other. They are using a radio transmitter, but they can't figure out how to do it.
Panic Attack
I am trying to build a system to activate a servo at a unspecified point in time when a machine and remote looses their signal between another. When the signal is lost between the two, the new system must activate a servo. We are using radio transmitters, but I can't figure out how to tackle this problem. Any assistance would be LOVED!

The biggest problem I am having is how to link these three things together. I was thinking about using a sensor that monitors the 2-way signal between machine and remote with a LED, then the LED turns on or maybe stops the LED when the signal is lost, then activates the actuator... i don't know...

can i build a sensor that does this?

Should I buy transmiter and put it on the plane and connect the reciever to a circuit that activates the servo? I am trying to make this happen without me doing it manually. Does this make any sense? This project uses mechanical and electrical engineering components.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of radio system are you using? Most modern 2.4Ghz systems (I have one on my helicopter) have a fail safe mode built in. When the 2-way link between the transmitter and receiver are broken, the receiver goes into a fail safe mode where all servos go to a pre-specified position. I would simply just connect your servo that is activating the parachute into one of your spare channels and use the fail-safe function to set its desired positions.

Topher925 said:
What kind of radio system are you using? Most modern 2.4Ghz systems (I have one on my helicopter) have a fail safe mode built in. When the 2-way link between the transmitter and receiver are broken, the receiver goes into a fail safe mode where all servos go to a pre-specified position. I would simply just connect your servo that is activating the parachute into one of your spare channels and use the fail-safe function to set its desired positions.

Its just a regular transmiter that communicates with remote. Your fail safe system sounds like what I am trying to make. But I have to "design" it for our platform. Its for school. the fail-safe function sounds perfect... i ll do a google search on "fail-safe systems" and see how to design one from assorted components. THANK YOU!

1. How does a parachute system/device work?

A parachute system/device works by creating drag and slowing down the descent of an object. The system/device typically consists of a canopy, suspension lines, and a deployment mechanism. When the object is dropped, the canopy is released and opens up, creating a large surface area that catches the air and creates drag. This drag helps to slow down the descent of the object, allowing for a safe landing.

2. What materials are used to make a parachute system/device?

The materials used for a parachute system/device depend on the specific design and purpose. Canopy materials can include nylon, silk, or other lightweight and strong fabrics. Suspension lines are typically made of strong synthetic fibers such as Kevlar or Dacron. Deployment mechanisms may use metal or plastic components. Overall, the materials used must be strong, lightweight, and resistant to tears and abrasions.

3. How do you determine the correct size of a parachute system/device?

The size of a parachute system/device is determined by several factors, including the weight and shape of the object it will be attached to, the desired descent rate, and the altitude at which it will be deployed. Generally, a larger canopy will provide a slower descent rate and a smaller canopy will provide a faster descent rate. It is important to carefully calculate and test the parachute system/device to ensure it is the appropriate size for the intended use.

4. What safety measures should be taken when designing a parachute system/device?

Safety is a crucial aspect of designing a parachute system/device. Some important measures to take include thorough testing and evaluation of the system/device, using high-quality materials, and following established design and manufacturing standards. Additionally, it is important to consider potential failure points and have backup systems in place in case of emergency. Regular maintenance and inspections are also essential for ensuring the safety and functionality of the parachute system/device.

5. How do you account for variables such as wind and weight distribution when designing a parachute system/device?

When designing a parachute system/device, it is important to account for variables such as wind and weight distribution. Wind can greatly affect the descent of the object, so it is important to conduct tests in varying wind conditions to ensure the system/device can handle different scenarios. Weight distribution can also impact the stability and function of the parachute, so it is important to carefully consider the weight distribution of the object and adjust the design accordingly.