Stimulus for renin angiotensin system?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the stimulus in a haemorrhage, specifically whether it is the decrease in renal perfusion pressure or the decrease in sodium chloride detected by the macula densa that stimulates it. The role of the RAAS system and feedback modifiers is also mentioned in the conversation.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

I have to write a simple essay about this,I know what to write but I'm stuck with the stimulus so can't start the essay. My textbook is so vague. I want to know the stimulus in a haemorrhage.

1. Is it the decrease in renal perfusion pressure detected by afferent arteriole that secretes renin.
2. Or decrease in sodium chloride deteced by the macula densa that stimulates it.

Biology news on Phys.org
sameeralord said:
Hello everyone,

I have to write a simple essay about this,I know what to write but I'm stuck with the stimulus so can't start the essay. My textbook is so vague. I want to know the stimulus in a haemorrhage.

1. Is it the decrease in renal perfusion pressure detected by afferent arteriole that secretes renin.
2. Or decrease in sodium chloride deteced by the macula densa that stimulates it.

If you have a decrease in renal perfusion, what does the macula densa "see". Does it see more or less sodium? That is how the kidney regulates RAAS.

You should note though, that the RAAS system is complex and requires lots of feed back modifiers. Atrial stretch receptors (barroreceptors) can also alter circulating renin levels.

have a look at beta 1 receptors in the autonomics section of any pharm text - and tie that in with the baroreceptor response bobz mentioned

1. What is the renin angiotensin system?

The renin angiotensin system is a hormone system in the body that helps regulate blood pressure and fluid balance. It is primarily controlled by the kidneys and involves the conversion of the protein angiotensinogen into angiotensin I and then angiotensin II, which is a potent vasoconstrictor.

2. What triggers the activation of the renin angiotensin system?

The renin angiotensin system is activated in response to a decrease in blood pressure or a decrease in sodium levels in the blood. This can be caused by factors such as dehydration, excessive sweating, or certain medications.

3. How does the renin angiotensin system affect blood pressure?

The renin angiotensin system plays a crucial role in regulating blood pressure. When it is activated, it leads to the production of angiotensin II, which causes blood vessels to constrict and increases blood pressure. It also stimulates the release of aldosterone, a hormone that helps the body retain sodium and water, further increasing blood pressure.

4. What is the role of the renin angiotensin system in kidney function?

The renin angiotensin system is important for maintaining kidney function. It helps regulate blood flow to the kidneys and influences the release of other hormones involved in controlling blood pressure and fluid balance. It also plays a role in the reabsorption of sodium and water in the kidneys, which can impact overall fluid balance in the body.

5. How do medications targeting the renin angiotensin system work?

Many medications used to treat conditions such as high blood pressure and heart failure target the renin angiotensin system. These medications, such as ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers, block the production or effects of angiotensin II, leading to lower blood pressure and improved kidney function. They may also help protect against heart and kidney damage in certain conditions.