Is there any branch of physics related to the brain, consciousness and the mind?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a PhD that combines physics and brain/mind/consciousness topics. They have been struggling to find a specific subject that interests them, but have come across the field of computational neuroscience. There is a debate on the relevance of chemistry knowledge in this field, with some suggesting it may not be necessary. The conversation also mentions possible career paths in theoretical neurobiology, biophysics, and computational neuroscience/artificial intelligence.
jeebs
I'm a physics student and I graduate in a few months. I have been looking for PhD's because I want to carry on learning physics but have so far struggled to find a PhD subject that really caught my eye.
I do, however, have an interest in the brain, the mind and consciousness (although I have no formal education in any of that). It occurred to me that if I could continue my studies in something that combined both physics and brain/mind/consciousness stuff, that would be perfect. However, googling around has not really turned up anything helpful so I thought I would ask here.
Does such a branch of physics even exist, and if so, is it active in 2011?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a very good pattern recognition group at Brown Applied Math.

Quantum consciousness isn't seen as a reasonable approach to studying neuroscience. A lot of physicists go into computational neuroscience and research sensory processing, axonal development/processing, memory/synaptic plasticity, neural network behaviour, cognition/learning and consciousness.

I think that there are loads of people in neuroscience(at least in Europe way more people are interested in neuroscience than in physics), not that many it seems in the computational area, since biologist are not trained in computation that much.My girlfriend Has Maths background and she applied for a PHd in computational ( in this case statistical)neuroscience.
I am interested in the field very much as well .

Try Physics and Mathematical Biology at Rockefeller University. There are about three different labs working on brain-related research from a physics perspective.

Christof Koch's lab (http://www.klab.caltech.edu/) is physics-intensive, as is the CNS department at Caltech. Koch was trained in physics.

I have a question as well ,for those of you who are in the field.
How far can you go without solid chemistry knowledge in this field? I mean I suppose you can do a lot of modelling but for deeper understanding one needs chemistry?? The only subject I never liked... and still I am as well very interested in the brain

I anticipate your answers...

I have a question as well ,for those of you who are in the field.
How far can you go without solid chemistry knowledge in this field? I mean I suppose you can do a lot of modelling but for deeper understanding one needs chemistry?? The only subject I never liked... and still I am as well very interested in the brain

I anticipate your answers...

A theoretical neurobiologist I once talked to (http://www.amath.washington.edu/~etsb/, by the way), said that he didn't even need any chemistry at all (and doesn't know any ochem)

THat s good news, thanks Simfish.

http://www.ls.manchester.ac.uk/masterscourses/courses/computationalneuroscience/careers/profilethree/

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Biophysics but no branch of Physics study consciousness or mind

If you are interested in computer science, you can look into computational neuroscience/artificial intelligence. My uncle was doing a Ph.D in this field, specifically trying to model the human brain. His B.S. degree was in CS though, so unless you've had experience in some computer science or computational physics, this may not work for you.

You could perhaps get a masters in computer science, and then try a Ph.D in artificial intelligence.

1. What is the branch of physics that studies the brain, consciousness, and the mind?

The branch of physics that studies the brain, consciousness, and the mind is called quantum neuroscience. It is an emerging field that combines principles of quantum mechanics and neuroscience to understand the relationship between the brain and consciousness.

2. How does quantum physics relate to the brain and mind?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of matter and energy at a very small scale. It has been proposed that the principles of quantum mechanics may play a role in understanding the complex processes of the brain and mind, including consciousness.

3. Can quantum mechanics explain consciousness?

While there is ongoing research and debate on the topic, some scientists believe that quantum mechanics may provide a framework for understanding consciousness. However, it is still a controversial and complex topic, and more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between quantum mechanics and consciousness.

4. What are some examples of quantum phenomena in the brain?

Some examples of quantum phenomena that have been observed in the brain include quantum tunneling, quantum coherence, and quantum entanglement. These phenomena are thought to play a role in neural communication and information processing in the brain.

5. Are there any practical applications of quantum neuroscience?

While it is still a relatively new field of study, there are potential practical applications of quantum neuroscience. For example, understanding the role of quantum phenomena in the brain could lead to new treatments for neurological disorders and advancements in artificial intelligence and computing.