Can Geomagnetic Field Statistics Explain Colony Collapse Disorder?

In summary, Dave states that there is no correlation between colony collapse disorder and the change in Earth's magnetic field. He recommends looking for data from satellites or the British Geological Survey.
arpeggio
I am trying to find a correlation between colony collapse disorder and the change in Earth's magnetic field. I don't understand the whole physics of measuring Earth's magnetic field but I am guessing that there is some sort of measurement that has been recorded every year?
I have been researching it but could find the data that I want. Do you know if I am searching for right key words?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
specifically what sort of colony are you referring to ?

Dave

Don't worry about the Earth magnetic field. It has done the wildest things in the geologic past and not a single extinction can be attributed to it.

About Colony Collapse Disorder for honeybees, it seems that the culprit may have been found, Neonicotinoids. Let's see if the bans are going to help.

Andre said:
Don't worry about the Earth magnetic field. It has done the wildest things in the geologic past and not a single extinction can be attributed to it...

Those were my thoughts/ knowledge as well.
But I was curious as to what sort of colonies the OP was referring to :)

cheers
Dave

It really depends on exactly what data you are looking for in terms of time scale and location.

• You can obtain geomagnetic observatory data from the British Geological Survey, here is the BGS website.

• Off the top of my head I can't think of website with raw satellite data, but the data are incorporate into the most recent International Geomagnetic Reference Field (IGRF) model (11th Generation website).

• The National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC) also a data repository for geomagnetic data, which can be found here.

Specifically the topic of colony collapse of bees (I assume). As Andre said, there have been much more dramatic changes in field behaviour that what we have seen in recent years. So I do not believe there is a link.

Any one reading the title looking for geomag data now has some starting points :smile:

What is the geomagnetic field?

The geomagnetic field is a magnetic field that surrounds the Earth and extends into space. It is generated by the Earth's core and helps protect the planet from harmful solar radiation.

What are geomagnetic field statistics?

Geomagnetic field statistics are numerical measurements and analysis of the Earth's magnetic field. They can include parameters such as strength, direction, and variability of the field at different locations and times.

Why is it important to study geomagnetic field statistics?

Studying geomagnetic field statistics helps us understand the behavior and changes of the Earth's magnetic field. This information is crucial for various applications such as navigation, communication, and space weather forecasting.

What tools and techniques are used to collect geomagnetic field statistics?

Geomagnetic field statistics are collected using a variety of instruments, including magnetometers, satellites, and ground-based observatories. Data is collected and analyzed using mathematical and statistical methods to identify patterns and trends.

How do geomagnetic field statistics impact our daily lives?

Geomagnetic field statistics have a significant impact on our daily lives. They are used in navigation systems, communication networks, and electrical power grids. They also play a crucial role in protecting our planet from solar storms and other space weather events.