MOND : Help with fitting procedure

In summary, MOND is a theory that is not particularly supported here, and is difficult to understand due to its reliance on the metrics used in standard cosmology. Though it has demonstrated an ability to fit observational evidence to a limited extent, its lack of substantive underlying theoretical support means that it is unlikely to be the correct theory.
devd
I am looking for pedagogical guides to fitting rotation curves with MOdified Newtonian Gravity. I want to study how to fit the luminosity data as well as the kinematic data. I have studied some published papers on MOND fits(Sanders, Mcgaugh, blok etc). But, they are not sufficiently elaborate. Can somebody provide any links, resources that i might find useful? Thank you!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
MOND isn't particularly supported here, simply due to our focus on main stay cosmology. In accordance to [itex]\Lambda[/itex]CDM. You could try www.arxiv.com. I haven't looked at MOND in several years now. Not saying we only discuss LCDM, loop quantum cosmology is another popular model discussed often. MOND simply isn't too popular in forum discussions. The relativistic version of MOND theory (TeVeS), also isn't particulalry discussed. For that matter I can't recall the last discussion on (TeVeS).

Last edited:
But, that's the scenario everywhere! that's why I've been unable to find any pedagogical material on MOND fits to rotation curves. I've surveyed the papers at arxiv.com, but they are too terse to understand sufficiently. :(

the only pedagogical material I usually see on it is usually comparisons between the two. Don't know what to tell you. The only help I can offer is to browse through the supportive references of the various MOND articles. MOND simply isn't in standard textbooks. So information on it is very limited. Its far easier to find materials to LQC and LCDM than MOND TeVeS etc.

here is one pedagogical view between the two, you might find supportive references from it. That's all I can recommend. MOND simply isn't popular and is falling out of favor, it was easier to find papers on it 5 to 10 years ago than it is now. Though I don't believe TeVeS ever gained much popularity. Its on the order of say Poplowskii's spin and torsion model, where he tried to do away with dark energy lol. I don't even think he's working on that model anymore

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1301.0623v2.pdf

I'll dig through my archives, I might still have one or two articles tucked away somewhere, it will take some time though I have over 100 gigs of PDF files

Likes 1 person
Likes 1 person
devd said:
But, that's the scenario everywhere! that's why I've been unable to find any pedagogical material on MOND fits to rotation curves. I've surveyed the papers at arxiv.com, but they are too terse to understand sufficiently. :(

key note here, you cannot understand MOND unless you also understand the metrics used in
standard Cosmology. MOND, isn't its own set of metrics, it uses differential geometry, SR and GR just as the FRW and Einstein field equations do. It simply modifies them where needed. That's probably why you find MOND articles terse and have difficulty understanding them.

put another way you need to first understand LCDM, and all that goes with it

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated! :)

MOND is an effective theory - meaning it fits observational evidence to a limited extent. It has no substantive underlying theoretical support.

That I agree with, I always found it amusing though that some MOND metrics uses Dipolar dark matter. see the first article

1. What is MOND?

MOND (Modified Newtonian Dynamics) is a theory proposed as an alternative to dark matter to explain the observed discrepancies between the predicted and observed gravitational interactions in galaxies.

2. How does MOND work?

MOND modifies the laws of gravity at low accelerations, specifically in the regime where the gravitational acceleration is much smaller than the critical acceleration scale set by the theory.

3. What is the fitting procedure for MOND?

The fitting procedure for MOND involves using observational data from galaxies, such as their rotation curves, to determine the parameters of the theory. This is done by comparing the predicted rotation curves from MOND to the observed ones and adjusting the parameters until a good fit is achieved.

4. How accurate is MOND at fitting observational data?

MOND has been successful in fitting the rotation curves of many galaxies, but it is not able to fully explain all observations and has some limitations. However, ongoing research and developments in the theory continue to improve its accuracy.

5. What are the implications of MOND for our understanding of the universe?

If MOND is able to fully explain the observed discrepancies in the gravitational interactions of galaxies, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially challenge the existence of dark matter and lead to a revision of our current understanding of gravity and the laws of physics.