Question about Alexander and Briggs notation

• Thread starter ComputerGeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different notations in the tabulation of knots and clarifies the meaning of these notations. The ALexander and Briggs notation is mentioned as being used in the appendices. The conversation also touches on the ordering of knots in the table and the significance of superscripts. It is mentioned that the superscripts refer to the number of components in the link and the subscripts are for historical ordering. The Knot Atlas is recommended for more tables.
ComputerGeek
I am writing a small paper on Knot Theory for my undergrad geometry course and I have a question about the tabulation of knots.

The books I have discuss the different notations, except for the ALexander and Briggs notation, which is used in the tables provided in the appendices.

I believe I understand the notation, but I want to be sure.

[tex]4_1[/tex] which refers to the figure eight knot means that this is the first knot of the class of knots that has 4 crossings that cannot be undone by Reidemeister moves. correct? If that is the case, then in the set of knots with 8 fundamental crossings, is there any significance to their ordering in the table? could I take [tex]8_1[/tex] and [tex]8_2[/tex] and just switch their corresponding knots? also, on some of the knots, there is a superscript. what is the significance of that?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my book (Adams), the superscripts refer to the number of components in the link. I think the subscript is just a historical ordering. For more tables, see the Knot Atlas.

Yes, you are correct in your understanding of the Alexander and Briggs notation. The number before the underscore refers to the number of crossings in the knot, and the number after the underscore indicates the specific knot within that class. So, 4_1 is the first knot in the class of knots with 4 crossings.

As for the ordering of knots in the table, there is no specific significance to their ordering. It is simply a way to organize the knots for easier reference. And yes, you could switch the corresponding knots for 8_1 and 8_2 without changing their fundamental properties.

The superscript in some of the knots is used to differentiate between different types of knots within the same class. For example, 8_3 refers to the third knot in the class of knots with 8 crossings, while 8_3^2 refers to a specific type of that knot. The superscript is typically used when there are multiple knots within a class that cannot be transformed into each other through Reidemeister moves.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had about the Alexander and Briggs notation. Best of luck with your paper on Knot Theory!

1. What is the Alexander notation used for?

The Alexander notation is a method used to describe and visualize knots in mathematics. It was developed by James Waddell Alexander II in the early 20th century.

2. How does the Alexander notation work?

The notation uses a combination of letters and subscripts to represent a knot diagram. The letters denote the type of crossing (over or under) and the subscripts indicate the order in which the strands cross.

3. What is the difference between Alexander and Briggs notation?

The main difference between Alexander and Briggs notation is the way they represent the over and under crossings. Alexander notation uses uppercase and lowercase letters, while Briggs notation uses numbers to indicate the number of crossings.

4. Can Alexander and Briggs notation be converted into each other?

Yes, it is possible to convert between Alexander and Briggs notation. The process involves replacing the letters in Alexander notation with numbers according to a specific conversion table.

5. How is Alexander and Briggs notation used in knot theory?

Alexander and Briggs notation are commonly used in knot theory to study and classify different types of knots. They provide a standardized way to represent and analyze knot diagrams, making it easier for mathematicians to communicate and research in the field.