Looking for the name of the game

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary: I realize that before I start playing.In summary, the game is called "Battleship" and it is a strategy game where players send planes and torpedoes to destroy their opponents' ships.
heartless
I used to play a game, where you put "ships" in cortesian plane, it can be either 1,2,3,4 - boxed-ship. You play with opponent, who then guesses the coordinates of the ship, if he/she guesses right, your ship is destroyed. What was the name of it? Does anyone want to play? :rolleyes:
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Battleship. I think you can play online at Yahoo! games or places like that.

you sunk my battleship! aahahaahahahH!

...I got nothing...

"Battleships", plural, I think. Never actually played a game myself.

Seen Harold and Kumar go to White Castle ? "You sunk my battle sh*t !" :rofl:

yeah, that's the very name I'm talking about. Thanks AKG. I was sitting in my math class today, thinking about predictible human behavior, and just reminded myself, how I used to play that game and always chose {F, 3} as my first move, in fact It was right for more than a half of my guesses. I decided that I do a research paper on Battleship and human's way of thinking - only thinking while playing this game. There was also a person who crossed both diagonals in quest for the battleships. That was a good strategy, I rarely could beat him. I think, just think, that it would be pretty interesting that usually for more than 50% of diagonal-crossing strategy, you'd find at least one ship.

I play a free modified version of it here:http://quizyourfriends.gamerival.com/index.cfm?game=20728FB1"

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger, what's your strategy?

I always use the same one. Try and blow the other guy's ships up as fast as you can.

Mk said:
I always use the same one. Try and blow the other guy's ships up as fast as you can.

So what's your strategy for *finding* those ships that you blow up?

I just look at the other person's board.

heartless,
You can easily play Battleship online at www.gamespark.com.
That site calls it "Sea Battle" though

As the Italians says: Bomba them'a! all to hella!

It's a remarkably boring game once you realize that all strategies are equally useless.

I realized that before I started playing. So I never started.

heartless said:
Danger, what's your strategy?
I start by sending planes to carpet bomb the centre of the biggest open water. If there's a hit, I finish it (or them; I got 3 at once that way) off with regular shots. Once it/they are sunk, I send more planes to the centre of the next largest open space. Repeat until out of planes, then start the same thing over again with homing torpedoes. Switch back to planes if any are found as bonuses. When planes and torpedoes are all expended, same again with the cluster bombs. Once again, any planes found are used right away. When there aren't any special weapons available, I determine which is the biggest ship out there and space my shots that many squares apart to ensure total coverage (ie: if the enemy's 2-square-long ships and all of the big ones are sunk, but there's a 3 left, I bomb every 3rd square). Every sinking brings a re-evaluation of how to space them.
It works pretty well until the sixth round or so, then the computer just starts cheating. It starts hitting my ships directly, with no intermediate 'test' shots. I've also noticed that every time it makes a hit, no matter what round it is, it's always on one end of my ship and then it places all following shots straight down the target until it's done. It doesn't ever have to determine the orientation of the ship like I do. :grumpy:

Last edited:
Rach3 said:
It's a remarkably boring game once you realize that all strategies are equally useless.
No, some strategies are more useless than others.

1. What is the purpose of "Looking for the name of the game"?

The purpose of "Looking for the name of the game" is to help individuals identify the name of a particular game they are trying to remember or find. It can be useful for nostalgic purposes, as well as for research or purchasing purposes.

2. How does "Looking for the name of the game" work?

"Looking for the name of the game" typically involves providing details about the game such as its genre, release date, platform, and any other distinguishing features. This information is then used to search through databases and other resources to find potential matches for the game's name.

3. Is "Looking for the name of the game" a reliable method for finding a game's name?

While "Looking for the name of the game" can be a helpful starting point, it is not always a reliable method for finding a game's name. The accuracy of the results will depend on the accuracy and completeness of the information provided, as well as the availability of resources. It is always best to cross-reference multiple sources for confirmation.

4. Are there any alternatives to "Looking for the name of the game"?

Yes, there are other methods for finding a game's name such as asking friends or using online forums and communities dedicated to gaming. Additionally, some gaming platforms have their own search features that allow users to search for games based on certain criteria.

5. Can "Looking for the name of the game" be used for any type of game?

While "Looking for the name of the game" can be used for a wide range of games, its effectiveness may vary depending on the availability of information and resources. It may be more challenging to find the name of obscure or lesser-known games compared to popular and well-documented ones.