Square metre to Square Feet conversion

• Thread starter peejake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the conversation discusses converting square feet to square meters and solving for length and width of a rectangle with a given area. The experts explain the conversion formulae and provide examples for both conversions. The original question is clarified and answered.
peejake
Hey guys,

Call me stupid, idiotic or dumb but i need an answer to this:
Here is the thing:

f= feet
m=metre

Equation 1: 20' x 30' = 600 sq ft

Now Converting to metre:

? x ? = 200 sq m

I need to know proportionately what x what gives me 200 sq m?? Plz explain how you get the answers??

Thanks
Jake

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question is not very clear. I'm guessing you need L and W so that L x W = 200 and L / W = 20 / 30. If that is it, it has nothing to do with feet or meters. The units are irrelevant in that problem.

To solve the system
LW=200
L/W=2/3,
simply pick an equation and solve for one of the variables in terms of the other variable, then plug that expression into the other equation. Solving for one variable should be pretty simple.

Suppose 1(foot)=k (meters) for some linear conversion constant k.
Then, you have:
[tex]\frac{1(foot)}{k(meters)}=\frac{k(meters)}{1(foot)}=1[/tex]
Furthermore:
[tex]1=1*1=\frac{1(foot)}{k(meters)}*\frac{1(foot)}{k(meters)}=\frac{1(sqft)}{k^{2}(sqm)}[/tex]
and
[tex]1=1*1=\frac{k(meters)}{1(foot)}*\frac{k(meters)}{1(foot)}=\frac{k^{2}(sqm)}{1(sqft)}[/tex]
where (sqft) means square foot, and (sqm) square meters.

We therefore have the conversion formulae:
[tex]1=\frac{k^{2}(sqm)}{1(sqft)}=\frac{1(sqft)}{k^{2}(sqm)}[/tex]

Now, suppose you are to convert 2(sqft) into (sqm) units.
Then you have:
[tex]2(sqft)=1*2(sqft)=\frac{k^{2}(sqm)}{1(sqft)}*2(sqft)=2k^{2}(sqm)[/tex]
If you are to convert square meters into square feet, use the other formula.

As Moo of Doom said, it's not clear what your question is. For one thing you ask for "x" but the only "x" in your question is the one you used as a multiplication sign!

If you asking how to convert 600 square feet into square meters, then using arildno's method, you have to know that there are approximately .3048 meters per foot. Therefore, there are approximately(.3048)2(600)= 55.7 square meters in 600 square feet.

Or perhaps you are asking how to convert 200 square meters into square feet. Since now you are going the "opposite way", divide by .30482 instead of multiplying. There are approximately 200/(.3048)2= 2152.8 square feet in 200 square meters.

Or you might be asking for length and width of a rectangle such that
length times width= 200 m. Unfortunately there are many different answers to that even if you require integer length sides: for example, 1 m x 200 m= 200 square meters, 2m x 100 m= 200 m, 4 m x 50 m= 200 square meters, etc. If you allow fractional lengths, there are an infinite number of solutions. (And it has nothing to do with converting from feet to meters.)

Perhaps you are asking a somewhat more complicated question: what must be the length and width of a rectangle of the same proportions as 20' x 30' which has area 200 square meters. In that case, if we let w= width, h= height, since the 20' x 30' rectangle has ratio, height to width, of 30'/20'= 3/2, we must have h= (3/2)w. Since area= hw= 200,
(3/2)w2= 200, w2= (2/3)(200)= 400/3 and
w= sqrt(400/3)= 20/sqrt(3)= 11.5 meters and h= (3/2)(11.5)= 17.3 m approximately.

Thankyou all,

What arildno and HallsofIvy explained to me, was exactly what i needed...thankyou my question what i needed to know was how to convert sq feet to sq meter and i got it...

Thanks again...:smile:

Jake

1. How do I convert square metres to square feet?

To convert square metres to square feet, multiply the number of square metres by 10.764. This will give you the equivalent measurement in square feet.

2. What is the formula for converting square metres to square feet?

The formula for converting square metres to square feet is: square metres x 10.764 = square feet.

3. Why do we need to convert between square metres and square feet?

Square metres and square feet are both units of measurement for area, but they are commonly used in different countries. Converting between the two is necessary when dealing with measurements from different sources or when working with international data.

4. Can I use an online calculator for square metre to square feet conversion?

Yes, there are many online calculators available for square metre to square feet conversion. Simply enter the number of square metres and the calculator will give you the equivalent measurement in square feet.

5. Is there a difference between square metres and square feet?

Yes, there is a difference between square metres and square feet. Square metres are a metric unit of area, while square feet are an imperial unit of area. One square metre is equal to 10.764 square feet.