Creating a Winning Cover Letter & Resume

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resume
In summary, the conversation revolves around creating a resume and cover letter. The individual has listed their current resume sections and asks for advice on what else they may need. They also inquire about writing a general cover letter and whether to include personal information. The conversation also touches on the importance of customizing resumes for specific job opportunities and including skills and software knowledge. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use LaTeX for a visually appealing resume and to highlight programming languages and software skills.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Alright, I've made a few of these in my short life so far, but I feel like something is missing in my resume.

I've got Languages (French/English), Education, Achievements, Work Experience, and Interests.

Is there anything I'm missing?

For the cover letter, how do I write a general cover letter? Do I just talk about myself and my future goals? Or should I always incorporate something personal?

Thanks.

Note: I'll upload my resume in a few minutes. The computer is slowing down.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have another question too.

I'm a Union Representative/Steward at my work. Should I include that?

Here is my resume:

Attachments

• JasonRESUME-PFVERSION.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 316
JasonRox said:
I have another question too.

I'm a Union Representative/Steward at my work. Should I include that?

Here is my resume:
Ditch the interests unless you really, really have to fill up some space (open space makes a resume easier to read, so don't think you have to pack the resume with tons of text)

Instead list skills. Your languages should be listed there, as well as any specialized software you know how to use (Matlab, Maple, etc).

Yes, you should include being a Union rep/steward.

You're going to have to shotgun a few of these out on websites, but don't invest too much in printing these on fancy paper if you have somewhere you can print these on demand (you can buy the box of good paper).

When you have a shot at a particular job, find out as much as you can about the company and the job being offered. Customize your resume to place emphasis on what you think they need and give them the customized copy (even if they contacted you because of the version you shotgunned out).

For the jobs you've had, try to list at least one thing you did that went above and beyond and explain how it helped the company.

What kind of jobs are you applying for Jason? Are they in math-related jobs? If so, in industry or academia?

berkeman said:
What kind of jobs are you applying for Jason? Are they in math-related jobs? If so, in industry or academia?

They are just simply on-campus jobs. Lots of people apply, I'm guessing, so I want to come out on top obviously.

I keep my resumes short and sweet. I don't write lots of text or make it too fancy either.

I'm going to get some tips from Evo's link and BobG's post. If I can meet the actual employer, I'm sure I'll have a good shot. I'll try and customize it a bit too.

i guess your resume will look nice if instead of writing in msword you write it in 'Latex'!

and yeah as BobG said skills and softwares which you know ...they attract employers...like matlab,autocad,3dsmax
and above all progg. langs. like java,c++

1. What is the purpose of a cover letter and resume?

The purpose of a cover letter and resume is to introduce yourself and your qualifications to a potential employer. It is your chance to market yourself and make a strong first impression.

2. How should I format my cover letter and resume?

Your cover letter and resume should be formatted in a professional and organized manner. Use a clean and easy-to-read font, and make sure your contact information is clearly visible. Use bullet points and headings to make your resume easy to scan for important information.

3. What should I include in my cover letter?

Your cover letter should include a brief introduction, a statement about why you are interested in the position, and a summary of your relevant skills and experiences. You can also mention any specific qualifications or accomplishments that make you a strong candidate for the job.

4. How can I tailor my cover letter and resume for a specific job?

To tailor your cover letter and resume for a specific job, carefully read the job description and highlight the skills and experiences that are most relevant. Use keywords from the job posting in your cover letter and resume to show that you are a good fit for the position.

5. Should I include references on my resume?

No, it is not necessary to include references on your resume. Instead, you can provide a separate document with your references if the employer requests them. Make sure to ask for permission from your references before sharing their contact information.