RFID Tag Design Help for High School Project - Corey

In summary: we are also planning on using a very low frequency so that the tag will not be detectable by anyone other than the car. we want the tag to return the make, model, and year of the car, the current battery state, and the key code. we are also looking into incorporating some sort of encryption to make sure only the authorized person can access the car.
civicboy1689
hi. my name is corey, and for my high school project, my group and i are trying to incorporate RFID tags into the lock and ignition system in automobiles. we are having truoble building/designing the RF tags. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tell us what you know already about RFID tags. How many different types are there (I mean, how many different kinds of RF schemes are used)? Specifically which type of RFID do you want to use? What frequency do you want to use? Are your tags passive, active, or RF-powered? What information do you want to have the RFID tags return?

we know a little bit about rf tags, mainly how they work and what they do. we are leaning towards using an active capacitively coupled rf tag.

Do you have a web pointer to the "capacitively coupled RF tag" technology?

Also, what do you know about the lock and ignition system in automobiles?

Personally I know practically nothing about them but I would hope they were hard to tamper with which may complicate your project. But perhaps the older the car is the easier they are to modify. Anyway, I suspect actually patching it into the car will be the most difficult part so you might want to spend a little time doing research to see if this is even feasible with your particular make and model of auto.

Oh yeah, and what method and level of encryption are you incorporating?

berkeman said:
Oh yeah, and what method and level of encryption are you incorporating?
:smile:

I am sure berkeman is not intending to scare you away. We'd just like to
see what kind of background information you have gathered. For a high school project, understanding the rudiments of RFID and implementing a basic application is commendable.

Perhaps you can layout for us what you have so far and what you intend to do next.

Ouabache said:
:smile:

I am sure berkeman is not intending to scare you away. We'd just like to
see what kind of background information you have gathered. For a high school project, understanding the rudiments of RFID and implementing a basic application is commendable.

Oopsies, thanks Ouabache. I spaced the part in the OP where it was a high school project. I just re-read the application (car ignition lock) and had an "oh yeah" thought. :blushing:

haha yea. so far we don't know a lot about rf tags, but do have a basic understanding on how they work. we are planning on using an active capacitively coupled RF tag and reciever to unlock a car and start it when the rf tag comes within 5 feet of the receiver, which will probably be located in the glove compartment or next to the fuse box.

1. What is an RFID tag?

An RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) tag is a small electronic device that uses radio waves to transmit information to a reader. It consists of a microchip and antenna, and is commonly used for tracking and identifying objects or people.

2. How does an RFID tag work?

RFID tags work by using radio waves to communicate with a reader. The tag contains a microchip that stores information and an antenna that sends and receives radio signals. When the tag is within range of a reader, the reader sends out a radio signal which powers the tag and allows it to transmit its information back to the reader.

3. What are the benefits of using RFID tags?

RFID tags offer many benefits, including increased efficiency and accuracy in tracking and identifying objects or people. They also eliminate the need for physical contact, making them more convenient and less prone to wear and tear compared to traditional barcodes. Additionally, RFID tags can store more information and can be read from a greater distance than barcodes.

4. How can I design an RFID tag for a high school project?

To design an RFID tag for a high school project, you will need to first determine the purpose of the project and the specific requirements for the tag. Then, you can research different types of RFID tags and their components, such as the microchip and antenna, and choose the best ones for your project. You may also need to consider the power source and programming for the tag. It is recommended to consult with a teacher or mentor who has experience with RFID technology for guidance.

5. Are there any safety concerns with RFID tags?

RFID tags are generally considered safe for use in everyday applications. However, there are some concerns about the potential for data privacy and security breaches. It is important to properly secure and encrypt the information stored on RFID tags to prevent unauthorized access. Additionally, individuals with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers, may need to take precautions when using RFID technology due to the potential for interference with their devices.