A couple resistance/power problems

• Thread starter feelau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the student is having trouble getting started on the first problem and is looking for help. They found the total resistance and current in the circuit, but are having trouble getting the potential difference between points A and B. For the second problem, they are looking for equations for power.
feelau

Homework Statement

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p28-09alt.gif"
We're suppose to find the current on the R resistor(32 ohms) and then find the potential difference between point a and b.

The attempt at a solution
For the first problem I'm having a little problem getting this started. I tried getting solving for the total resistance and then assuming voltage is same throughout the circuit, I applied R=V/I to solve for current at that resistor but I'm not getting the right answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I solved the other problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, how did you go about finding the total resistance?

As for the second one, do you know any equations for power?

First off, it would be good to sort of work backwards. First get the total resistance of the 5 ohm, 10 ohm, and R ohm that are in series. (RT = R1 + R2 + R3 = 5 + 10 + 32 = 47).. then when you get that RT value, find the total resistance for the resistors in parallel (1/5 + 1/47 (from the series combination) + 1/10 = 1/RT (for the parallel combination). I got 3.11 ohms for the total resistance of the circuit. After you have the total resistance of the circuit, you find the current by I = V/R since you know V (25) and R (from the series and then parallel calculations) I = 25/3.11 = 8.03A. From there, using current and knowledge of adding currents in parallel and knowing that they the same in series, find the current in each resistor (ultimately yielding to the current in the R resistor) .. once you have the current/resistance in each resistor, then finding the potential difference between A and B will be easy.

If you need more help.. just ask. I'll do my best to explain it..

hm I thought that for resistors in parallel its R1+R2 and series it's 1/R1+1/R2? and I did try how you describe it...maybe it's just a lot of things all at once and I'm entering in the wrong number? Ok let me run through what I did in beginning, so I said that the 10(far left) and R resistors are in a series and they are then parallel to the a 5 ohm resistor as well as a 10 ohms one. Next I said that the resistance from all those previous resistors are in series with the 10 ohm one next to battery. That total resistance i put into R=V/I and get current correct? Then through the equations I got that (Assuming I solved for resistance of the middle 10 ohm and 5 ohm resistance and saying there's a current I2 running through it and then I1 running through the 32 ohm resistor, I get something like R(from 10ohm and 5ohm resistors)*(Itotal-I1)=R(32ohm resistor, and 10 ohms)*I1 and then solve for I1 correct?

EDIT: hm ok so I think I might have had some errors when I was plugging in the numbers because it works now. Could you help me with the second part of this problem? I'm suppose to find the potential difference between a and b. I know it should just be V/I=R but I'm not sure what the numbers for R should be...I should be the amount of current that flows through the 5 ohms and 10 ohms resistor and we neglect that 32 ohms resistor current right?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between resistance and power?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. It is measured in watts.

2. How do I calculate resistance?

To calculate resistance, you can use Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In other words, R = V/I. You can also use a multimeter to directly measure resistance.

3. What factors affect resistance?

There are several factors that can affect resistance, including the material of the object (some materials have higher resistance than others), the length and thickness of the object, and the temperature (higher temperatures can increase resistance).

4. How does resistance affect power?

Resistance and power are inversely proportional. This means that as resistance increases, power decreases, and vice versa. This is because with higher resistance, more energy is lost as heat, reducing the amount of energy available to do work.

5. How can I reduce resistance in a circuit?

There are a few ways to reduce resistance in a circuit. One way is to use thicker wires, as they have less resistance than thinner wires. Another way is to use materials with lower resistance, such as copper instead of steel. Additionally, keeping the circuit at a lower temperature can also help reduce resistance.