What Causes Oscillation Errors in Air-Track Glider Experiments?

• Thread starter animanga008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
The correct answer is x = 11cm * cos(26*2*pi/1.5) = -11 cm.In summary, an air-track glider attached to a spring is pulled to the right and released from rest at t=0, resulting in oscillation with a period of 1.50 s and a maximum speed of 46.0 cm/s. Using the formula x = A cos (wt), with A=11cm and t=26.0s, the glider's position is -11cm.
animanga008
An air-track glider is attached to a spring. The glider is pulled to the right and released from rest at t=0. It then oscillates with a period of 1.50 s and a maximum speed of 46.0 cm/s.

I found the amplitude to be 11cm (this is 100% correct)

1) What is the glider's position at t= 26.0 s?

How do i do #1?

I used the formula x = A cos ( wt) and plugged everything in.

x = (11cm) cos (26sec x 2pie/1.5)
x = -3.56

but my answer is wrong :-(

Physics news on Phys.org
Your angle 26*2*pi/1.5 is in radians, but I think your calculator was set to work in degrees.

I would first check to see if the units are consistent in the formula being used. The given information provides the period in seconds, but the formula uses radians per second. Therefore, the period needs to be converted to radians per second by multiplying by 2π. This would give a period of approximately 9.42 radians per second.

Next, I would check to see if the amplitude and period values are correct. The given amplitude of 11 cm seems reasonable, but the period of 1.50 s may be incorrect if the maximum speed of 46.0 cm/s is accurate. The period can also be calculated using the maximum speed and the amplitude, using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the glider and k is the spring constant.

Assuming the given information is correct, the correct formula to use would be x = A cos (wt + φ), where φ is the phase angle. To find the phase angle, we can use the given information that the glider is released from rest at t=0. This means that at t=0, the glider is at its maximum displacement, which corresponds to a phase angle of π/2.

Plugging in the correct values, we get x = 11 cm cos (9.42 rad/s x 26 s + π/2) = -9.60 cm. Therefore, the glider's position at t=26.0 s is -9.60 cm.

In conclusion, it is important to double check the units and values used in the formula, and to use the correct formula for the given situation. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the physical concepts involved in the problem to check for any inconsistencies.

1. What is a "Spring airtrack problem"?

A "Spring airtrack problem" refers to a physics problem that involves the use of a spring and an airtrack. The airtrack is a long, narrow track that is used to minimize friction and allow objects to move smoothly. The problem typically involves calculating the motion of an object attached to the spring as it moves back and forth on the airtrack.

2. How do you solve a Spring airtrack problem?

To solve a Spring airtrack problem, you first need to understand the principles of Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement. Then, you can use equations of motion to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and position of the object on the airtrack. Finally, you can use these values to solve for the desired variables.

3. What are some common variations of the Spring airtrack problem?

Some common variations of the Spring airtrack problem include changing the mass of the object attached to the spring, introducing external forces such as friction or gravity, and adding multiple springs to the system. These variations can make the problem more complex and require additional calculations.

4. How does the airtrack affect the motion in a Spring airtrack problem?

The airtrack minimizes friction and allows for smoother motion of the object attached to the spring. This means that the object will experience less resistance and can move with less external forces acting on it. However, the airtrack may also introduce some small amount of air resistance, which can affect the final calculations.

5. What real-life applications are there for Spring airtrack problems?

Spring airtrack problems can be applied to real-life scenarios such as studying the motion of a car's suspension system, analyzing the movement of a bouncing ball, or understanding the oscillation of a pendulum. They can also be used in engineering to design and test springs for various purposes, such as in shock absorbers or trampolines.