What Are the Major Products of Benzoic Acid and Hydroquinone Nitration?

• Thread starter jkh4
  • Start date
In summary, the electrophilic nitration of benzoic acid at a higher temperature would result in the formation of a 3,5-dinitro product due to the meta-directing nature of benzoic acid. Additionally, the nitration of hydroquinone under the conditions of nitric acid acting as an oxidizing agent would lead to the production of nitrohydroquinone with nitro groups attached to all four remaining positions of the molecule.
jkh4

Homework Statement

1) What other nitration products in a electrophilic nitration of benzoic acid would be formed if each reaction were carried out at a higher temperature?

2) The nitration of hydroquinone leads to a low yield of nitrohydroquinone. Propose the structure of the major product: HINT: nitric acid can also function as an oxidizing agent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please correct me if I am wrong.
For #1: I think since it is at higher temperature, and benzoic acid is a meta director, the both meta position of the benzene ring will have NO2 attached to it so it will be a 3,5 - dinitro product.

For #2: I was thinking the structure of hydroquinone is [PLAIN]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hydroquinone.svg.[/URL] Since it has two hydroxide attached and they are all ortho/para director, i think the NO2 will be attached to all four remaining positions.

Can someone please help me out? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jkh4 said:
For #2: I was thinking the structure of hydroquinone is [PLAIN]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hydroquinone.svg.[/URL] Since it has two hydroxide attached and they are all ortho/para director, i think the NO2 will be attached to all four remaining positions.

Can someone please help me out? Thanks.

The hint said that nitric acid can also act as an oxidant. How might you use this hint?

Last edited by a moderator:

Your explanation for #1 is correct. At higher temperatures, the meta positions will become more reactive due to increased delocalization of the negative charge on the ring.

For #2, you are correct that hydroquinone is a strong reducing agent and can be oxidized by nitric acid to form nitrohydroquinone. The major product would be 2,5-dinitrohydroquinone, as both ortho positions are more reactive due to the presence of the hydroxyl groups. This product is also stabilized by resonance effects.

1. What is the purpose of bromination and nitration in organic chemistry?

Bromination and nitration are chemical reactions used to introduce bromine and nitro groups, respectively, into organic compounds. This can change the physical and chemical properties of the compound, making it more reactive or creating new products.

2. How do bromination and nitration reactions occur?

Bromination and nitration reactions typically involve the use of strong acids, such as hydrobromic acid or nitric acid, to react with the organic compounds. The acids act as electrophiles, attacking the electron-rich areas of the compound and causing the bromine or nitro group to bond.

3. What are the potential hazards of bromination and nitration reactions?

Both bromine and nitric acid are highly corrosive and toxic substances, so proper safety precautions, such as wearing personal protective equipment and working in a well-ventilated area, should be taken when performing these reactions. Additionally, some organic compounds may be explosive when combined with bromine or nitric acid, so it is important to carefully follow reaction protocols.

4. Can bromination and nitration be controlled to produce specific products?

Yes, the conditions of the reaction, such as the concentration of the acid and the temperature, can be adjusted to control the outcome of the reaction. This can lead to the production of specific products or the selective introduction of bromine or nitro groups at specific locations on the organic compound.

5. What are some real-world applications of bromination and nitration reactions?

Bromination and nitration reactions are commonly used in the production of pharmaceuticals, dyes, and agrochemicals. They can also be used in the synthesis of explosives and other industrial chemicals. Additionally, these reactions are often used in organic chemistry research to create new compounds and study their properties.