Box on a Toboggan - Newton's Laws

In summary, the box moves with a speed of 10.002 m/s^2 due to the force of static friction between it and the toboggan.
NKKM

Homework Statement

HI,
I am confused about how to approach this question.

A 4.0 kg toboggan rests on a frictionless icy surface, and a 2.0 kg block rests on
top of the toboggan. The coefficient of static friction m
s between the block and the surface of the toboggan is 0.60, whereas the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.51. The block is pulled by a 30 N-horizontal force as shown. What are the magnitudes and directions of the resulting accelerations of the block and the toboggan?

Homework Equations

Fpull- Ffriction = Fnet = ma
Ffriction = uk X Fnormal
Fnormal = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

If I calculate the acceleration of the box as so: Fpull- Ffriction = Fnet = ma
using the kinetic friction coefficient and solve for acceleration. Does that make sense.. and how then do I approach the acceleration of the toboggan? Would it slide under the box?

Physics news on Phys.org
NKKM said:

Homework Statement

HI,
I am confused about how to approach this question.

A 4.0 kg toboggan rests on a frictionless icy surface, and a 2.0 kg block rests on
top of the toboggan. The coefficient of static friction m
s between the block and the surface of the toboggan is 0.60, whereas the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.51. The block is pulled by a 30 N-horizontal force as shown. What are the magnitudes and directions of the resulting accelerations of the block and the toboggan?

Homework Equations

Fpull- Ffriction = Fnet = ma
Ffriction = uk X Fnormal
Fnormal = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

If I calculate the acceleration of the box as so: Fpull- Ffriction = Fnet = ma
using the kinetic friction coefficient and solve for acceleration. Does that make sense.. and how then do I approach the acceleration of the toboggan? Would it slide under the box?
Yes, that makes sense, using the mass of the block for m, and your result is the acceleration of the block with respect to the ground. Now draw a free body diagram of the toboggan...what net force in the horizontal direction acts on the toboggan? Then use Newton 2 again for the he toboggan to determine its acceleration with respect to the ground.

Hello,
I'm working on this same problem. I calculated the force of static friction between the block and the toboggan: Fn*Us = (2 kg*9.8)(0.60) = 11.76 N, so it would seem to me that the box will move since this is less than the 30 N pulling on it. I'm confused with the fact that you're saying it moves "with respect to the ground", since it would seem to me that since this is less than the maximum static friction between the box and toboggan, that the box will be moving with respect to the toboggan. Is that incorrect?

I calculated the net force on the box to be Fpull-(FnUk) = ma. (30)-(2.0*9.8)(0.51) = 2.0(a) = 10.002 m/s^2, and you're saying that this is with respect to the ground? For the toboggan, do I use {Fx = 30N-0(since frictionless) = ma, with m being the mass of the block and toboggan combined? I'm having trouble figuring out how to approach this part.

Thanks so much!

What are Newton's Laws?

Newton's Laws are a set of three laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are fundamental to the study of classical mechanics.

What is the Box on a Toboggan experiment?

The Box on a Toboggan experiment is a thought experiment that is used to illustrate and explain Newton's Laws of Motion. It involves a box sitting on a frictionless toboggan, with a person pushing the box and the toboggan forward.

What is the significance of the Box on a Toboggan experiment?

The Box on a Toboggan experiment helps to demonstrate how an object's motion is affected by the forces acting upon it, as described by Newton's Laws. It also helps to explain concepts such as inertia, acceleration, and action and reaction forces.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

How does the Box on a Toboggan experiment illustrate the first law of motion?

In the Box on a Toboggan experiment, the box remains at rest until a force is applied to it by the person pushing the toboggan. Once in motion, the box will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force such as friction or air resistance.