More than two terminals on cell phone battery

In summary, most batteries have two terminals with symbols '+' and '-', but cell phone batteries often have more than two terminals. These additional terminals may serve as temperature sensors for charging, allow for different chargers/phones to be used, or enable more careful monitoring and charging of individual cells.
jackson6612
Most batteries have only two terminals with symbols ''+'' and ''-''. I uderstand the function of two terminals. But almost all the cell phone batteries I have seen have more than two terminals. What is the reason for having more than two terminals? Please check this link:
http://www.batteries.com/images/256x256/17753.jpg

Best wishes,
Jackson

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually a temperature sensor ( check if one terminal is marked 'T' )
one way of charging these batteries is to just supply current and monitor the internal temperature rise - then back off the current to keep it in control.

My cordless phone has 3 terminals. The two outer terminals are common to each other. This way I can place the hanset on the cradle either face-up or face down.

Your 4 terminals might be so it can accept different chargers/phones. Or perhaps a discharge pair and a charge pair. I'm only guessing.

Some batteries also allow connections to each individual cell (or some subset of them) to allow for more careful monitoring and charging. I don't know if this is common for cell phone batteries, though.

1. How does having more than two terminals affect the battery life of a cell phone?

Having more than two terminals on a cell phone battery can potentially increase the battery life. This is because more terminals allow for a more efficient distribution of power, reducing the strain on each individual terminal and prolonging the overall battery life.

2. Can having more than two terminals on a cell phone battery cause any damage?

In most cases, having more than two terminals on a cell phone battery will not cause any damage. However, if the additional terminals are not properly connected or if they are incompatible with the phone, it could potentially cause damage to the battery or the phone itself.

3. How is having more than two terminals beneficial for cell phone users?

Having more than two terminals on a cell phone battery can provide various benefits for users. It can potentially improve battery life, allow for faster charging, and provide a more stable power supply to the phone, leading to better overall performance.

4. Are there any drawbacks to having more than two terminals on a cell phone battery?

One potential drawback of having more than two terminals on a cell phone battery is that it can make the battery larger and heavier. This could affect the overall design and portability of the phone. Additionally, if the additional terminals are not properly connected, it could cause issues with the battery's performance.

5. How common are cell phone batteries with more than two terminals?

Most cell phone batteries have two terminals, but there are some models that have more than two. These are often found in high-end or specialized phones, such as those with fast charging capabilities or multiple battery packs. However, they are not as common as standard two-terminal batteries.