Help in understanding Single pole filter in a STM Setup

In summary, a single pole filter is the simplest type of electronic filter that either allows low frequencies to pass and attenuates high frequencies, or allows high frequencies to pass and attenuates low frequencies. It has a 6dB/octave rolloff, meaning for every doubling of frequency above the cutoff frequency, the signal is halved. The bandwidth refers to the width of the passband, and there are various resources available for learning more about the transfer function of a single pole filter.
Tanja
Hi,

I'm working on a UHV STM. Recently I opened the multigain switch to set higher gains and I also changed the bandwidth.
In the manual I read that the bandfilter is a so called 'single pole filter' and has a 6dB/Octave roll off.

Can someone help me to understand what a single pole filter actually does?

(I studied physics and my knowledge in electronics and filters is very limited ... )

Thanks a lot in advance
Tanja

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. A single pole filter is the simplest filter. It will be either lowpass (it passes low frequencies but attenuates higher frequencies), or highpass (it passes higher frequencies and attenuates lower frequencies. Here is a general background piece on filters, with links to more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_filter

The term "6dB/octave rolloff" refers to the attenuation characteristic with respect to frequency. If you draw a plot of the attenuation of a lowpass filter versus frequency, it will look like the graph on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_filter

For every doubling of frequency above the cutoff frequency, you get double the attenuation of the AC voltage waveform (you get half the signal), which is where the 6dB per octave (and octave is doubling of the frequency) comes from.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunatelly the manual didn't provide more information on the single pole filter and I don't know if it is a low-pass or a high-pass or both. I guess both because it is possible to change the bandwidth by moving a jumper. Or is there any other use of the word bandwidth, e.g. like a synonyme for cut off frequency?

Do you know a good reference with details about the transfer function of a single pole filter?

I had a look at fremotares.org. and I'm kind of impressed. Citicens of Fremont can be very happy. It must be a good and save felling to know that there are people who have the knowledge and the skills in communications and are not only interested in earning money and working for big companies only.

The filter would be a lowpass, and the bandwidth is the width of the passband, from DC up to the cutoff frequency shown in the link.

As for learning resources, start with the wikipedia articles, and then follow some of the links given at the end of the articles. Happy reading!

1. What is a single pole filter in a STM setup?

A single pole filter in a STM (scanning tunneling microscope) setup is a type of electronic filter that is used to reduce noise and improve the signal-to-noise ratio of the data collected by the microscope. It is typically used to filter out high-frequency noise that can interfere with the precise measurements made by the STM.

2. How does a single pole filter work?

A single pole filter works by attenuating or reducing the amplitude of high-frequency signals while allowing low-frequency signals to pass through unaffected. This is achieved using a resistor and a capacitor, which together form a low-pass filter. The cutoff frequency of the filter can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistor and capacitor.

3. What are the benefits of using a single pole filter in a STM setup?

The main benefit of using a single pole filter in a STM setup is that it helps to improve the quality of the data collected by reducing noise. This can lead to more accurate measurements and better resolution images. Additionally, using a filter can also help to protect the STM from high-frequency electrical noise, which can damage the delicate components of the microscope.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a single pole filter?

One potential drawback of using a single pole filter in a STM setup is that it can introduce a phase shift in the data. This means that the filtered data may not be an exact representation of the original signal. However, this effect is usually minimal and does not significantly impact the accuracy of the measurements.

5. How do I choose the right single pole filter for my STM setup?

The choice of single pole filter will depend on the specific requirements of your STM setup. Factors to consider include the cutoff frequency, the noise level of the setup, and the type of measurements being performed. It is important to carefully select a filter with the appropriate specifications to ensure optimal performance and accurate data collection.