Problem at Startup - Hazim's Issue

• Thread starter hazim
  • Start date
In summary, the file was a virus or worm and was removed by removing it in safe mode and system restore disabled.
hazim
I got this problem about two weeks ago.. as you see in the first picture, "windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\Config\sevcst.exe'..." I searched for the file and i found a file with the same name but in system32, even as you see in its properties in the other picture, this file seems as a virus or worm..I have seen before the same properties as this file in another files with names: "Pictures", and "My Pictures" and also with the same icon...I hope to get more information about this virus/worm (kaspersky didn't detect it). what is strange is the comments in "other version information in the file's properties as you can see where there is written "Designed and Programed by: X-LEB the most dangerous hacker in the Middle-East!" note that I'm from Lebanon (in Middle East) and "LEB" refers to Lebanon!

hope anyone help me get out these two problems.

hazim.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1571143_untitled.JPG

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1571153_untitled1.JPG

Computer science news on Phys.org
Boot into safemode and remove it from there.

You may have to turn off system restore when you delete it. If you don't, the file may replicate itself the next time you boot up.

Also get a copy of 'autoruns' from sysinternals - it lists all the programs that are set to run at startup and allows you to turn them off.
It's also useful for keeping track of all those toolbar utils that everythign decides to install.

mgb_phys said:
Also get a copy of 'autoruns' from sysinternals - it lists all the programs that are set to run at startup and allows you to turn them off.
It's also useful for keeping track of all those toolbar utils that everythign decides to install.
You can do the same thing for free through the control panel and the administrative tools.

Autoruns is free and conveniently lists all the apps started by the dozen different mechanisms - they are all listed in the registry, this is just easier.

The Services dialog gives you pretty much the same thing. It tells you what loaded and if it is automatically loaded. You can turn things on and off as well. It is pretty helpful if you don't already have some other software to do it.

Free is good. I haven't been able to find a free version of software that does that. I have tried some others and they were ok, but the trial was over pretty quickly.

Wow ! Great thread
I'm currently running SpyBot S&D, which seems to protect my Reg. Also i have PC Tools, which seems to filter a lot of adware, but I'm not too happy with it's total performance, i don't think it is anti-vir?
If i try Avg, should i remove PC Tools first, or would they be compatible with each other?

thanks all for information and attention...I just deleted that file in safe mode and system restore disabled, and the problems were solved...i installed AVG and and scanned the pc, it didn't detect anything...thanks for you.

1. What is the problem at startup that Hazim is facing?

Hazim is facing a problem at startup where his computer is not booting up properly. He is getting an error message and is unable to access his files or programs.

2. What could be causing this issue?

There could be several reasons for this issue, such as a corrupt operating system, hardware failure, or a virus/malware infection. It could also be due to a recent software update or changes made to the system settings.

3. How can Hazim troubleshoot this problem?

Hazim can try restarting his computer and checking for any error messages. He can also try booting in safe mode to see if the issue persists. If it does, he can try running a virus scan and checking for any updates or changes that may have caused the problem. If none of these solutions work, he may need to seek professional help.

4. Is there a way to prevent this problem from happening again in the future?

Yes, there are some preventive measures that Hazim can take to avoid similar startup issues in the future. He can regularly update his operating system and antivirus software, be cautious when downloading or installing new programs, and avoid making any major changes to system settings without proper knowledge.

5. Can this issue be fixed without losing any data?

It depends on the cause of the problem. If it is a software-related issue, it is possible to fix it without losing any data. However, if it is a hardware failure or a virus infection, there is a risk of losing data. It is always recommended to regularly back up important files to avoid data loss in such situations.