ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ANSYS software to model a 2D surface subjected to a load in the 3rd dimension. The recommended element type for this application is Shell93, with Shell43 and Shell63 as alternatives. The conversation also touches on the possibility of coupling structural and electrical elements in ANSYS, as well as the use of ANSYS and COMSOL for simulating coupled multiphysics problems. Other topics addressed include applying initial conditions, drawing an ellipse in ANSYS, and modeling multiple cracks and applying moments over a plate in ANSYS.
MJCfromCT
I am attempting to model a simple 2D surface in ANSYS that is subjected to a load in the 3rd dimension. My surface is a table top, in the X-Y plane. I have modeled it in 2D, and will give it a "simulated thickness". However, I am not sure which element type I can use to apply a force on the top of this surface in the Z-direction. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For your application, you need to use a shell element.

Shell93 could be a good choice, it has quadratic interpolation with midside nodes and allows for large deflection. For the lower-order version of this element, you could look at Shell43 elements or possibly Shell63.

Thank you for the reply. It has been a while since I have used ANSYS, and Shell elements must have slipped my mind. :)

Which element type do you use to apply static force and dc voltage at the same time
for 2D or 3D model?

I don't think there are any coupled Structural/Circuit elements. I suspect you will instead have to solve the problem as a coupled multiphysics problem, where the problem's multiple regimes are linked with imported initial conditions.

I can not think of any way to even apply that kind of initial condition. Perhaps there is some other add on to ANSYS that I am unaware of. I would think something like COMSOL would be needed.

FredGarvin said:
I can not think of any way to even apply that kind of initial condition. Perhaps there is some other add on to ANSYS that I am unaware of. I would think something like COMSOL would be needed.

There isn't anything COMSOL is capable of that ANSYS Multiphysics isn't; both are multiple physical domain FEA programs that have optimized solvers for iterating results from one solution regime into another. However it seems to me that a structural/electical coupling wouldn't wouldn't have any useful results.

I'm curious if the O.P. is really looking for something like a resistive heating effect that is coupled into a structural thermal expansion solution. This would a triply-integrated FEA problem solving for current density (electromagnetic solution), followed by a resultant temperature distribution from resistive heating (heat transfer solution), and finally a thermal expansion solution based on the temperature distribution (structural).

I am trying to simulate the interaction of two rectangular rigid blocks floating closely in a medium having relatively low elastic constant under simple shear condition. The space between two blocks was taken to be very low elastic constant. In the final result, I found the two blocks have overlapped to each other after a high finite strain value which is not true in practical. The blocks are supposed to keep distance among them. Can anybody suggest me how to avoid the overlapping?

I am using Ansys 10. I would like to draw an ellipse. How would I draw the keypoints from an external .txt file where the co-ordinates are saved in two columns?

I'm doing a project in analysis of friction welding of aluminium alloy. i need to know what type of element to be used in Ansys to get proper results.. pls anyone help..

I am doing my m.tech project on fracture mechanics..

I have to model orthotropic plate containing holes frm which 2cracks are emanating radially frm each hole.

my problem is i have to apply out of plane loading like bending moment and torsion.

So can any pls suggest for following problems

1.which element is suitable for above problem..?
2.how to model multiple cracks in ANSYS..?
3.How to apply moments over a plate..?

If u give suggestiong it will be great helpful to me..

thanks in advance...

I only use ansys to simulate magnetic project. but i never heard this method in ansys.

Is there a question in there?

1. What is ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load?

ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load is a feature in the ANSYS software that allows users to create and analyze 2D models of table tops with a Z-direction load applied. This feature is commonly used in engineering and design to simulate real-world scenarios and predict the behavior of table tops under different loads.

2. How does ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load work?

ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load works by breaking down the table top into smaller finite elements and then applying the Z-direction load to each element. The software uses complex mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate the stress and strain on each element, which is then used to determine the overall behavior of the table top.

3. What are the benefits of using ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load?

There are several benefits of using ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load. It allows for more accurate and realistic simulations compared to traditional hand calculations. It also saves time and resources, as it eliminates the need for physical prototypes. Additionally, it provides detailed analysis and visualization of the table top's behavior under different load conditions.

4. Can ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load be used for other applications?

Yes, ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load can be used for various other applications besides table tops. It can be applied to any 2D geometries with Z-direction loading, such as beams, frames, and plates. This feature is commonly used in the fields of mechanical, civil, and aerospace engineering.

5. Is ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load suitable for beginners?

No, ANSYS Element for 2D Table Top Modeling w/ Z-Dir Load is a complex and advanced feature in the ANSYS software. It requires knowledge of engineering principles and experience with the software to use it effectively. It is recommended for users who have a good understanding of finite element analysis and have been trained in using ANSYS.