How Do You Calculate Quantum Numbers for a Two-Electron System?

I think you need to find the parity operator, P, and see what it does to that function. If you work it out correctly, that should give you -1.In summary, the system composed of two electrons with orbital angular momentum quantum numbers l_1 = 4 and l_2 = 2 has total orbital angular momentum quantum number L values of -6.919, -2.021, 2.021, and 6.919. The total angular momentum quantum number J values can be determined by adding or subtracting the individual angular momenta of the two electrons. The parity of an atomic or nuclear state refers to the symmetry of its wave function under inversion, and for the state described by the wave
dq1

Homework Statement

(a) Consider a system composed of two electrons with orbital angular momentum
quantum numbers l_1 = 4 and l_2 = 2.
Give all the possible values of
(i) the total orbital angular momentum quantum number L,
(ii) the total angular momentum quantum number J. [8]
(b) Explain what is meant by the parity of an atomic or nuclear state. Show that
the state described by the wave-function [tex] $\psi= r cos \theta exp(r/2a) $ [/tex] has parity
quantum number -1.

Homework Equations

[tex]
$ J=L+S $\\
$ j=l \pm s $\\
$ L^2 = l(l+1) $\\
$ P \psi = e^{i\theta}\psi $
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is probably extremely easy but I've been given no examples and I keep getting myself in a muddle. Are the answers for L and J suppose to come out as non integers?
[tex]
$ L^2 = l(l+1) $\\
$ L_1=\sqrt{20} = \pm 4.47 $ \\
$ L_2=\sqrt{6} = \pm 2.449 $\\
L = -6.919, -2.021, 2.021, 6.919
[/tex]
Are the negative values valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
(i) Start by thinking about two cases:
1. the angular momentum vectors of the two electrons point in the same direction
2. they point in opposite directions

What would be l (that's a lower-case "L") for the system in these two situations?
Are any other values of l possible?

l would be 6, 2, -2, -4

?

Okay, except that l just takes on positive values or zero, so it would be 6 and 2.
Next, what other values could it have, given that the two vectors need not be aligned (i.e. not in the same direction or opposite direction)?

Note:
[tex]L^2 = l(l+1) [/tex]
which should probably be [tex]L^2 = l(l+1)\hbar^2 [/tex]

This isn't really needed here. L refers to the magnitude of the actual angular momentum. But it is much more common to refer to angular momentum simply by the quantum number, l. So for example, if l=2, we just say the orbital angular momentum is 2, rather than the actual value of
[tex]\sqrt{6} \ \hbar[/tex]

When I read your questions, it seems they really want the quantum numbers. These will be integers (or, if spin is included, then possibly half-integers).

Okay, except that l just takes on positive values or zero, so it would be 6 and 2.
Next, what other values could it have, given that the two vectors need not be aligned (i.e. in the same direction or opposite direction)?
Sorry I don't understand, are you saying there are more values for l (lower L)?

Presumably when I have all the l's I just [tex]\pm 1/2 [/tex] from each one for j?

For b. I understand I have to multiple it by [tex]$ e^{i\theta}$[/tex] do I need to convert the cos to terms of [tex]$ e^{i\theta}$[/tex]

You probably should review the rules for adding two angular momenta together. It should be explained in your textbook or class lectures.

dq1 said:
Sorry I don't understand, are you saying there are more values for l (lower L)?
Yes. So far, we have just found the maximum and minimum values, the ones we get if the two L's (vectors) point in the same direction (maximum, 4+2=6) or directly opposite (minimum, 4-2=2).

If the two L's are at some angle to each other, l will be somewhere in between 2 and 6.

Presumably when I have all the l's I just [tex]\pm 1/2 [/tex] from each one for j?
This one is more complicated. If there were just 1 electron, then yes you'd [tex]\pm 1/2 [/tex] since one electron has a spin of 1/2. But in this case you need to [tex]\pm[/tex] the combined spin of the two electrons.

For b. I understand I have to multiple it by [tex]$ e^{i\theta}$[/tex] do I need to convert the cos to terms of [tex]$ e^{i\theta}$[/tex]
I'm not sure, it has been a while since I worked in this area.

1. What is spin-orbit interaction?

Spin-orbit interaction is a phenomenon where the spin of an electron interacts with its orbital motion around an atomic nucleus. This interaction is responsible for splitting energy levels in atoms and is a crucial factor in determining the properties of many materials.

2. How does spin-orbit interaction affect electronic states?

Spin-orbit interaction causes the energy levels of atoms to split into two or more sub-levels, resulting in different energy states for electrons with different spins. This can influence the electronic structure and behavior of materials, such as magnetic properties and conductivity.

3. What is the difference between spin and orbit?

Spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, such as an electron, which can be thought of as its "spin" around its own axis. Orbit, on the other hand, refers to the motion of a particle around a central point, such as an electron orbiting around an atomic nucleus.

4. Why is spin-orbit interaction important in materials science?

Spin-orbit interaction plays a crucial role in determining the electronic and magnetic properties of materials. It helps explain phenomena such as magnetism, superconductivity, and spintronics, which are important in the development of new technologies and materials.

5. Can spin-orbit interaction be observed in everyday life?

While spin-orbit interaction is not directly observable in everyday life, its effects can be seen in various phenomena such as magnetism and the behavior of electronic devices. It is also a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which helps us understand the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.