Magnetic force on a wire problem

In summary, a bundle of 100 long, straight, insulated wires with a radius of 0.500 cm and each carrying 2.00 A forms a cylinder. The magnetic force per unit length acting on a wire located 0.200 cm from the center of the bundle is calculated using Ampere's law and the number of wires within the given radius. The direction of the force is inward and the magnitude is 6.34 mN/m. However, the correct answer may be different due to possible errors in the logic, calculations, or the given information.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

A packed bundle of 100 long, straight, insulated wires forms a cylinder of radius R = 0.500 cm.
(a) If each wire carries 2.00 A, what are the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force per unit length acting on a wire located 0.200 cm from the center of the bundle?

Homework Equations

[tex]F= ILB[/tex]

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_{0}I_{enc}}{2\pi r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did to get the solution:

I can find the number of wires in out to where the radius equals 0.002m.
[tex]\frac{\pi(0.002)^2}{\pi(0.005)^2}*100 = Number of Wires[/tex]

That gives me 16 wires and since each has 2 amps the current enclosed = 32 A.

Using ampere's law:

[tex]B = \frac{(4\pi * 10^{-7})(32)}{2\pi(0.002)}[/tex]

B = 0.0032

Knowning B I can find the force per unit length on one wire with 2 amps of current.

[tex]\frac{F}{L} = (2)(0.0032)[/tex]

That equals 0.0064 N/m

That answer is wrong and I can't figure out why. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean .0064N/m

yes I did, sorry

I can't figure out what could be wrong with this.

Looks okay to me too..

The instructions request the direction as well as the magnitude...
You have the magnitude: 6.34mN/m
I'd say you need to articulate the direction ("inward"), ,otherwise you are absolutely correct.
:tongue2:

Well I got an answer of 6.4mN/m which is not the right answer. 3 options. Something is wrong in my logic. Something is wrong in my calculations. Or the books is wrong.

1. What is the formula for calculating magnetic force on a wire?

The formula for calculating magnetic force on a wire is F = BILsinθ, where F is the force in Newtons, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, I is the current in Amperes, L is the length of the wire in meters, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic force on a wire?

The direction of the current affects the direction of the magnetic force on a wire. If the current and magnetic field are parallel, the force will be maximum. If they are perpendicular, the force will be zero. If the current and magnetic field are at an angle, the force will be at an intermediate value.

3. Can the magnetic force on a wire be negative?

Yes, the magnetic force on a wire can be negative. This happens when the direction of the current and the magnetic field are opposite, resulting in a force in the opposite direction. This can occur when the wire is in a region with a strong magnetic field, such as near a magnet.

4. How does the length of the wire affect the magnetic force?

The length of the wire affects the magnetic force by directly proportional relationship. This means that as the length of the wire increases, the force also increases. This is because a longer wire will have more points where the current is flowing, resulting in a stronger magnetic force.

5. How does the magnetic field strength affect the magnetic force on a wire?

The magnetic field strength affects the magnetic force on a wire by directly proportional relationship. This means that as the magnetic field strength increases, the force also increases. This is because a stronger magnetic field will exert a greater force on the moving charges in the wire, resulting in a stronger force on the wire itself.