Finding Points of Intersection for f(x) = 2x/pi and f(x) = sin x

In summary: There is no exact solution to this equation. However, there are numerical methods that can approximate the solution.
ACE_99

Homework Statement

Determine the points of intersection for the following equations

f(x) = 2x/pi
f(x) = sin x

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find the points of intersection you set the two equal to each other then find where x is equal to 0. I'm not sure how to isolate for x with a sin in the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
ACE_99 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the points of intersection for the following equations

f(x) = 2x/pi
g(x) = sin x

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find the points of intersection you set the two equal to each other then find where x is equal to 0. I'm not sure how to isolate for x with a sin in the equation.

x is equal to 0 at x = 0. I'm being sarcastic, but my point is that you set f(x) = g(x) (you used the same letter for both functions, so I changed one of them) and solve that equation. Doing this gets you 2x/pi = sin x, which can't be solved exactly.

You should graph the two functions as carefully as you can to see how many points of intersection there are (I think there are two), and then use a calculator (in radian mode) to estimate these values.

It would be helpful to work with the equation x = pi/2 * sin(x), which is equivalent to the one above. Put in a value of x, save it to memory, take the sine of it, and then multiply by pi/2.

Is your answer close to the original (stored) value of x. See if you can make it closer by taking an x value a little larger or smaller. If you do this several times, your x value and your value of pi/2 * sin(x) should get pretty close.

Do the same for the other value of x.

Thanks a lot that really helped me out, I got the answer.

Mark44 said:
Doing this gets you 2x/pi = sin x, which can't be solved exactly.
I'm curious as to why this is unsolvable without a crude method of approximation.

Mark44 said:
Doing this gets you 2x/pi = sin x, which can't be solved exactly.

Oh?:wink:

The key here is to realize a few things:

(1)sin x oscillates between -1 and 1, so any solutions to the above equation must be on the interval [itex]-1\leq \frac{2x}{\pi} \leq 1[/itex] or equivalently, [itex]\frac{-\pi}{2} \leq x \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

(2)y=sin x is concave up on the interval [itex]\frac{-\pi}{2} \leq x \leq 0[/itex], so the it can only intersect a straight line (like y=2x/pi) at a maximum of two points on that interval and y=sin x is concave down on the interval [itex]0 \leq x \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], so the it can only intersect a straight line (like y=2x/pi) at a maximum of two points on that interval.

(3)x=0,x=-pi/2 and x=pi/2 are all obvious points of intersection.

The combination of (1),(2) and (3) guarantee that the only solutions are x=0,x=-pi/2 and x=pi/2.

gabbagabbahey said:
(3)x=0,x=-pi/2 and x=pi/2 are all obvious points of intersection.

ok but what if our line was something that created a less obvious intersection.
y=x/2 ?
It's not so obvious anymore. Can this one be solved?

Mentallic said:
ok but what if our line was something that created a less obvious intersection.
y=x/2 ?
It's not so obvious anymore. Can this one be solved?

An exact solution is not possible in that case, only a numerical approximation.

Which brings me back to my original question :biggrin:
Is there a reason why there is no method to find exact values for these intersections?

Mentallic said:
Which brings me back to my original question :biggrin:
Is there a reason why there is no method to find exact values for these intersections?

To solve an equation such as 2x/pi = sin(x), you have to be able to get an equation with x on one side and anything else on the other side. The usual operations (add/subtract/multiply/divide both sides), square/cube/etc., extract roots, trig functions, logs, etc. just won't do it. You'll still be left with x on each side, so you haven't solved for x.

Mark44 said:
To solve an equation such as 2x/pi = sin(x), you have to be able to get an equation with x on one side and anything else on the other side. The usual operations (add/subtract/multiply/divide both sides), square/cube/etc., extract roots, trig functions, logs, etc. just won't do it. You'll still be left with x on each side, so you haven't solved for x.

Are there any more advanced methods of operation for isolating x?

Also, if someone could please throw me a link that directs me to a technique that can find an approximate solution to this such question.

Mentallic said:
Also, if someone could please throw me a link that directs me to a technique that can find an approximate solution to this such question.

How's this?:smile:

Ahh yes Newton's method :smile:

It didn't strike me at first because I thought it was only possible to find the zeros of a function, not the intersection.
Foolishly enough, I missed that [tex]\frac{x}{2}=sin(x) \Rightarrow f(x)=\frac{x}{2}-sin(x)[/tex]
Thanks. But are there still any methods of finding exact values?

Mentallic said:
Thanks. But are there still any methods of finding exact values?

In general, [itex]\sin x=m x [/itex] has no exact solutions (edit: Other than x=0!) as is typical for a transcendental equation It is only for certain special values of [itex]m[/itex] that exact solutions exist; and still the most applicable method is graphing the functions.

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey said:
has no exact solutions.
I just can't accept this. There must be some (probably) complicated expression for its exact solution. What I can accept though, is that a method in finding this complicated solution has yet to be invented/discovered.

What are points of intersection?

Points of intersection are the points where two or more lines or curves intersect on a graph. They represent the common solution to the equations of the lines or curves.

Why are points of intersection important?

Points of intersection are important because they can provide valuable information about the relationships between different mathematical equations. They can also help us solve systems of equations and find solutions to real-world problems.

How do you find points of intersection?

To find points of intersection, you can set the equations of the lines or curves equal to each other and solve for the variables. This will give you the x-coordinate of the point of intersection. You can then plug this value into one of the equations to find the y-coordinate.

Can there be more than one point of intersection?

Yes, there can be more than one point of intersection between two or more lines or curves. In fact, there can be an infinite number of points of intersection if the lines or curves overlap each other.

What if there are no points of intersection?

If there are no points of intersection between two lines or curves, it means that they do not intersect at any point on the graph. This could happen if the lines are parallel or if the curves do not cross each other. In this case, there is no common solution to the equations of the lines or curves.