Ever catch an inconsistency in your own thoughts?

• Thread starter chroot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary, the author noticed an inconsistency in their thoughts and wondered how to resolve it. They believe that beauty is rare but it is everywhere if you just look hard enough. They also think that beauty is a transitory thing and that it must be treasured.
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I assume everyone strives to make their worldview as consistent as possible, but, clearly, many people hold conflicting beliefs, whether they notice the conflict or not.

I recently noticed such an inconsistency in my own thoughts. I've been doing a lot of photography lately, and I've discovered that I simultaneously believe:

- Beauty is rare and must be treasured whenever it is found
- Beauty is everywhere if you just look hard enough

I have no idea how to resolve this conflict -- I honestly still believe both of these statements, even after realizing that they are incompatible! Maybe my head will soon explode.

What inconsistencies have you noticed in your own thoughts? What did you do about them?

- Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm optimistic to a fault, despite all of my cynicism. And I've decided I'm happy to be that way. (Although I would like to change "optimistic to a fault" to just "optimistic") I suppose that's not actually inconsistent, though -- just pseudoparadoxical.

chroot said:
Those are not inconsistent - I have the same false dichotomy running through my head sometimes. I'll walk past a woodpile to look for wildflowers to photograph, while another person might see a play of shadows and light and make pretty nice photographs of the woodpile. It's the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" effect, and it is real. I have seen some really nice images of mundane objects and thought about how I manage to miss things like that. I like shooting wildflowers, wildlife, and birds and I'm sure that when I'm looking for subjects I end up ignoring some nice opportunities for shots.

I have a wonderful black and white photograph of a setter lying in the doorway of a shed with a brace of pheasants hanging on the wall and a pair of well-worn boots on the steps. It was posed, of course, and was a favorite of some people in the old Fish and Game department, which is how I got a copy (game warden buddy). That picture was meant to tell a story, but it could have stood alone without the dog, birds, and boots. Just a picture of a weathered shingled outbuilding with the door ajar.

Maybe beauty is rare, but that it appears to be everywhere because of remembering the hits and forgetting the misses?

I have found quite a few inconsistencies in my own positions, but I am sure that I have more that I have not discovered so far. Death penalty, government involvement to break up monopolies, teacher-student friction is a few I can remember of the top of my head.

I find them sometimes and usually come up with some way around the inconsistency. And other times I just decide that I am human and it is ok if I am not always logical.
I can't think of anything in particular at the moment though.

In the case of your example I would consider that beauty is a transitory thing, of a moment and unique, so that while you may find beauty anywhere it is a treasure for its uniqueness which is a form of rarity.

TheStatutoryApe said:
In the case of your example I would consider that beauty is a transitory thing, of a moment and unique, so that while you may find beauty anywhere it is a treasure for its uniqueness which is a form of rarity.
Rodin thought so too. Ever seen his bronze "la belle heulmiere"?

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/R/rodin/belle_heaulmiere.jpg.html

chroot said:

I have no idea how to resolve this conflict

A unifying statement:

Beauty is everywhere if you just look hard enough, but it is rare that we look hard enough to see it..so when we do see it, it must be treasured. Personally, though, I think the first statement is just flat out false.

I always thought that armadillos couldn't talk until an armadillo told me that armadillos can't talk.

We all say things we don't mean, sometimes.
You mean what you say.

I gave people a lot of credit, saying things out of anger, or other emotions. Then I began to question it. Now I think they are telling me exactly what they want me to hear.

junglebeast said:
Beauty is everywhere if you just look hard enough, but it is rare that we look hard enough to see it..so when we do see it, it must be treasured. Personally, though, I think the first statement is just flat out false.

junglebeast, that ain't bad! :biggrin:

Now, if you can just sort out this global warming business for us...

- Warren

I change my mind all the time. No, I don't. Yes, I do...

I'll try to dig up some of my favorite studies on "cognitive dissonance" for you later, chroot.

On day x:
wife: (loud) you have big ego problem.
me: (silence)

On day y:
me: you have big ego problem.
wife: every human has their own ego. You can't be a human without ego...
me: (silence)

I don't know...I keep thinking inconsistently whether ego is good or bad... :mad:

jobyts said:
I don't know...I keep thinking inconsistently whether ego is good or bad... :mad:

Egos are fine, its your wife that's the problem.

Topher925 said:
Egos are fine, its your wife that's the problem.

LOL wow beatme to it! hahahahah

back to the OP
I don't think there are inconsistencies in things that i believe in, for instance what you said about beauty, i don't find that to be an inconsistency at all. I do however find inconsistencies in my thoughts all the time about things that I have difficulty understanding or are new to me.

I think everyone missed chroot's point. He's not talking about whether his beliefs are true or not.

Yeah, I find some of my thoughts conflict too. I think it's relative to situations though. Not always though.

- People usually have no idea what they're saying
- I am a person
- The plural of 'a person' is 'people'

chroot said:
junglebeast, that ain't bad! :biggrin:
Now, if you can just sort out this global warming business for us...
- Warren

Done.

It only bothers me if it is factually incorrect. For subjective ideas I find it useful to be able to hold conflicting opinions. It helps creative thought and gives me some idea where people are coming from when they communicate if I can associate with their viewpoint.

Topher925 said:
I always thought that armadillos couldn't talk until an armadillo told me that armadillos can't talk.

Is that the Cretan paradox "All Cretans are liars"?

chroot said:

Maybe like the Cantor set?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe it just depends on your mood. :biggrin:

I have noticed this sort of thing in myself before, but I can't think of anything at the moment. I rarely view the world in absolute terms anymore, so that probably reduces the chance of inconsistencies.

Last edited:
I have kids. I sometimes hate how they act, what they say, what they do, (etc.)...but I love them for it all.

As for beliefs...some things take more convincing than others to change. If I'm sitting on the fence on an issue...there are lot's of alternative/conflicting thoughts.

1. How common is it for scientists to catch an inconsistency in their own thoughts?

It is fairly common for scientists to catch an inconsistency in their own thoughts, as critical thinking and self-reflection are important skills in the scientific process.

2. How do scientists typically handle inconsistencies in their thoughts?

Scientists typically address inconsistencies in their thoughts by reevaluating their assumptions, conducting further research, and consulting with colleagues to gain a better understanding of the issue.

3. Can inconsistencies in one's thoughts affect the validity of their research?

Yes, inconsistencies in one's thoughts can potentially affect the validity of their research. It is important for scientists to identify and address any inconsistencies in order to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their findings.

4. Are there any strategies or techniques that scientists use to prevent inconsistencies in their thoughts?

Scientists may use techniques such as peer review, double-checking data, and regularly revisiting and revising their hypotheses to help prevent inconsistencies in their thoughts.

5. How do inconsistencies in one's thoughts contribute to the overall scientific knowledge?

Inconsistencies in one's thoughts can lead to a deeper understanding of a topic and may even result in new discoveries or theories. By acknowledging and addressing inconsistencies, scientists can refine their ideas and contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.