Crossing the desert (in a steam powered car)

• Thread starter ceptimus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Steam
In summary, in order to cross a desert in a steam-engine powered car, a strategy is needed due to the car's limited coal supply. The most efficient strategy involves leaving fuel depots in the desert and making several round trips to pick up and drop off fuel at specific points, allowing for a 94.2857% completion of the journey by car and a 57 mile walk at the end. Other solutions include dividing the desert into eight points or using a mathematical formula, resulting in a 101.09% completion. The conversation also includes discussions about other puzzles and an inquiry about the identity of "Ceptimus", who may or may not be Fred Dibnah, a famous steam enthusiast.
ceptimus
By one of those inexplicable quirks of puzzle land, it is necessary that you cross a desert in a steam-engine powered car.

Your steam car is very reliable, but it can't carry enough coal to cross the whole desert without refuelling. Fully loaded with coal, it can travel just half way across. The car has a very efficient condenser, so water for the boiler is not a problem. You also have adequate supplies of food and drinking water.

So you hatch a cunning plan... You will drive out some distance into the desert, leave some coal there, and then drive back to the starting point. You aim is to establish fuel depots out in the desert, enabling you to refuel on subsequent journeys. By this means, you hope to drive out further into the desert than would otherwise be possible.

There is another constraint. You have just 8 full loads of coal at your starting point, and there is no prospect of more being delivered till next year.

You decide to get as far as possible in your car, and (if necessary) abandon it and walk whatever distance remains. The desert is 1000 miles wide.

What is your best strategy?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "immediate" guess would be 1/8 of 1000 or a 125 mile walk. I'm sure there's a way to make this smaller; most likely 0.

Also, this is wasteful, and you end up not using all the coal.

Last edited:
1) you drive an eight of the way out into the desert and drop a half-load of fuel there and drive back.

2)Then you drive to the eighth of the way point again, pick up half the fuel you left there, drive out to the quarter way point, drop a half load of fuel there and drive back, picking up the fuel you left at the 1/8 of the way way point to get you back.

3),4) repeat steps 1) and 2)

5) drive out to the quarter way point pick up a half load of fuel, dump at the 3/8 point, return (which means you'll have to pick up the rest of the fuel at the quarte way point

6),7) repeat steps 1 and 2)

Unfortuantely my stategy means that you only get 7/8 of the way through the desert and have to walk 125 miles through the desert where you will invariably die.

If you go out 2/15 ths each time you do better - no wastage. That way you make 90% by car and have to walk the last 100.

EDIT : Mistake here...will correct.

First trip : go out 2/15ths, leave 7/15ths of the load and return. Repeat. At the end of 7 such round trips and 1 one-way trip, you have 4 loads. Now from this point, head out 1/7th, drop off 3/7ths of the load and return. Make 3 round trips and 1 one-way trip. Now you have 2 loads at the point x=2/15 + 1/7. Finally head out 1/6ths from here, drop off 1/3 load and return. Take the rest and get back here and you have 1 full load. Use this to go half way.

Grand total = 94.2857%

A paltry 57 miles to walk. Nice evening stroll, wot ?

I think this can be improved...

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
If you go out 2/15 ths each time you do better - no wastage. That way you make 90% by car and have to walk the last 100.
I suspected that dividing the desrt into eight points was not the most effeicent way.

Bah, I can only cross 101.09% of the desert. Y'all waste too much coal. :biggrin:

BTW, when I heard this one, the setup was that you could leave drums of gasoline in the desert to fuel a normal vehicle.

Hurkyl, you poor creature. Now you have to walk back 11 miles.

Say no more.

1/30 + 1/26 + 1/22 + 1/18 + 1/14 + 1/10 + 1/6 + 1/2 = 1.01

Now, I can sleep.

When I wake I vow to fnd another solution to the paint mixing problem...I'm sure I had one.

Last edited:
One thing can I ask, Ceptimus: are you THE Fred Dibnah, or just a big fan of the man?

[tex] (n_i - 1)f_{i+1} + \frac {1+f_{i+1}}{2} = n_{i+1} ~~i=0..7 [/tex]

[tex] n_i : total~loads~of~coal~deposited~at~i'th~station~;~~n_0=8 [/tex]

[tex] f_i : fraction~of~load~deposited~per~trip~at~i'th~station [/tex]

[tex] set~~n_{i+1} = n_{i} - 1 [/tex]

[tex]then~~f_{i+1} = \frac {2n_i - 3}{2n_i - 1} [/tex]

[tex] and~~d_{i,i+1} = \frac {1-f_{i+1}}{4} [/tex]

Last edited:
jcsd said:
One thing can I ask, Ceptimus: are you THE Fred Dibnah, or just a big fan of the man?

Hmmm... a steam-powered car, eh ?

Gokul43201 said:
Hmmm... a steam-powered car, eh ?
If Ceptimus is Fred Dibnah I imagine his computer is also steam-powered.

So, let l be the distance that the steam car travels on one load, then the total distance traveled is:
[tex]l \times \sum_{i=1}{t}\frac{1}{(t-1) \times 2+1}[/tex]
so a total of about 1010 miles. Enough to cross the desert.

Last edited:

1. How does a steam powered car work?

A steam powered car works by using heat from burning fuel, typically coal or wood, to create steam. The steam is then directed into a cylinder, where it pushes a piston and turns a crankshaft, creating motion that propels the car forward.

2. Is it safe to cross the desert in a steam powered car?

Yes, it is safe to cross the desert in a steam powered car as long as proper precautions are taken. The car should be well-maintained and have enough water and fuel to make the journey. It is also important to have a skilled driver who knows how to operate the car and navigate through the desert terrain.

3. How do you keep the steam powered car running in a hot and dry environment?

In order to keep the steam powered car running in a hot and dry environment, it is important to have a sufficient water supply. This can be achieved by carrying extra water with the car or by using a condenser to recycle the water used in the steam engine. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the car's cooling system to prevent overheating.

4. How do you navigate through the desert in a steam powered car?

Navigating through the desert in a steam powered car can be challenging, but there are a few methods that can be used. One option is to use a compass and map to plot a course. Another option is to follow natural landmarks, such as mountains or rivers. It is also important to have a skilled and experienced driver who can navigate through the desert terrain.

5. Can a steam powered car cross the desert faster than other types of cars?

It is possible for a steam powered car to cross the desert faster than other types of cars, but it depends on various factors such as the condition of the car, the terrain, and the driver's skill. In general, steam powered cars have a lower top speed than gasoline or electric cars, but they can still be efficient and reliable for long journeys in the desert.