Old Quantum Theory and the Linear Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, MLS found that the quantized energy levels of a linear harmonic oscillator in SHM are $E_n = n \hbar \omega$.
Mark Spearman

Homework Statement

Calculate the quantized energy levels of a linear harmonic oscillator of angular frequency $\omega$ in the old quantum theory.

Homework Equations

\[
\oint p_i dq_i = n h
\]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is supposed to be a simple "exercise" (the first in Merzbacher). I believe the
answer is is $E_n = n \hbar \omega$. But I don't see how. The classical total energy of the LHO is
\[
H = m q_0^2 \omega^2/2
\]
so the energy would not be linear in omega. The solution using the Schroedinger equation is (n + 1/2) \hbar.

Thanks,

MLS

Physics news on Phys.org
In "old quantum theory" people had the uncertainty relationship which you can take to have the lower bound [tex]\Delta x \Delta p ~ \hbar/2[/tex] (other people don't care about the 1/2 factor in there since h-bar is a tiny order of magnitude anyway). The total energy of a particle in SHM is [tex]E=p^2/2m+\frac{1}{2}mx^{2}\omega^{2}[/tex], where x is the displacement of the particle. Put in the estimate of the *uncertainty* in p as the "value of p" in the first energy term and you can take the uncertainty in x to be the "particle displacement". Then you have energy as a function of this characteristic x, for which you want to find the extremum in order to find the amplitude of minimal energy. So solve dE/dA=0 for A. Now put this back into the expression for E(A) to get the energy in the desired form. As you noted, the energy levels do not end up being just multiples of this ground state estimate, but odd multiples.

Thank you, JavairR for your prompt response. The method you outlined is excellent and very clear. It results in the minimum energy state for the LHO which is, hbar omega/2.

However, my problem is different and since the last post, I was able to arrive at the answer which is think is correct (I was having problems with generalized coordinates and
INTEGRATION! I have attached a better problem description and solution as a pdf.

Thank you all for a fine forum.

MLS

Attachments

• reply.pdf
    51.7 KB · Views: 658

1. What is the Old Quantum Theory?

The Old Quantum Theory, also known as the first quantum theory, was developed in the early 1900s by physicists such as Max Planck, Niels Bohr, and Albert Einstein. It was the first attempt to explain the behavior of atoms and molecules using quantum principles, paving the way for the development of modern quantum mechanics.

2. What is the Linear Harmonic Oscillator?

The Linear Harmonic Oscillator is a model used in physics to describe the motion of a particle under the influence of a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position. It is an important concept in classical mechanics and is also used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of atoms and molecules.

3. How does the Old Quantum Theory explain the behavior of the Linear Harmonic Oscillator?

In the Old Quantum Theory, the energy levels of a linear harmonic oscillator are quantized, meaning they can only take on discrete values. This is due to the quantization of the vibrational energy of the oscillator, which is a result of the wave-like nature of matter. The theory also explains the relationship between the energy levels and the frequency of oscillation of the oscillator.

4. What are some limitations of the Old Quantum Theory in explaining the Linear Harmonic Oscillator?

One of the main limitations of the Old Quantum Theory is that it does not fully account for the wave-particle duality of matter, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also does not accurately predict the behavior of systems with multiple particles, and it cannot explain certain phenomena such as the photoelectric effect.

5. How does the Old Quantum Theory relate to modern quantum mechanics and the study of the Linear Harmonic Oscillator?

The Old Quantum Theory was an important stepping stone towards the development of modern quantum mechanics, which provides a more complete and accurate understanding of the behavior of atoms and molecules. However, the Old Quantum Theory still has some practical applications in certain situations, such as in approximations and simplifications for solving more complex quantum systems.