"Understanding Fluorescent Lamps and Their Processes

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lamp
In summary, fluorescent lamps use phosphors to produce visible light from UV light. This is done by absorbing the UV light and then re-radiating it using a different wavelength. This is a reversible process that produces continuous spectrum of several colors. Finally, do you prefer very inefficient lamps?
songoku

Homework Statement

Fluorescent lamps use phosphors to produce visible light from UV light. This is done by absorbing the UV light and then re-radiating it using a different wavelength. This is a

a. one way process
b. reversible process
c. process that produces continuous spectrum
d. process that produces a single wavelength only
e. process that is very inefficient.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I totally clueless...What should I understand first so that I can answer this question?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since we are switching on and off the fluorescent several times, it must be a ...?
Fluorescent lamps produce line spectrum of several colors.
Finally do you prefer very inefficient lamps?

Hi Mr. rl.bhat
rl.bhat said:
Since we are switching on and off the fluorescent several times, it must be a ...?
reversible process

Fluorescent lamps produce line spectrum of several colors.
It means that (c) and (d) are wrong

Finally do you prefer very inefficient lamps?

Of course no :smile:

Then I think the answer is (b).

But what is the basic to say that it's an efficient lamp?

Thanks

Unlike filament lamp, there is no resistance where the energy is lost due to heating.
So for the same amount of energy consumption, more lumen of light is available in fluorescent lamp than in the filament lamp.

Oh I see

Thanks a lot for your help, Mr. rl.bhat !

songoku said:

Homework Statement

Fluorescent lamps use phosphors to produce visible light from UV light. This is done by absorbing the UV light and then re-radiating it using a different wavelength. This is a

a. one way process
b. reversible process
c. process that produces continuous spectrum
d. process that produces a single wavelength only
e. process that is very inefficient.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I totally clueless...What should I understand first so that I can answer this question?

Thanks
My Tips:

Product Features:

* UV lamp illuminates invisible markings in an instant
* Don’t be caught out with fake currency
* Ideal for banknotes, credit cards, stamps, etc...

Just a contribution; as far as i know Fluorescent lamps doesn't even generate heat when they are turned on,

Correct me if am wrong,

Cryphonus

1. What is a fluorescent lamp?

A fluorescent lamp is a type of light bulb that uses electricity to excite mercury vapor, producing ultraviolet (UV) light. The UV light then interacts with a phosphor coating on the inside of the lamp, causing it to emit visible light.

2. How do fluorescent lamps work?

Fluorescent lamps work by passing an electric current through an ionized gas (usually mercury vapor) contained within the lamp. The ions in the gas collide with the electrons, causing them to release energy in the form of UV light. This UV light then causes the phosphor coating on the inside of the lamp to emit visible light.

3. What are the benefits of using fluorescent lamps?

There are several benefits to using fluorescent lamps, including their energy efficiency, longer lifespan, and ability to produce a brighter and more evenly distributed light compared to traditional incandescent bulbs. Additionally, fluorescent lamps do not emit as much heat, making them safer to use in enclosed spaces.

4. How are fluorescent lamps different from incandescent bulbs?

Fluorescent lamps differ from incandescent bulbs in several ways. Firstly, they use a different method to produce light (exciting mercury vapor vs heating a filament). They are also more energy efficient and have a longer lifespan. However, fluorescent lamps do contain small amounts of mercury, which can be harmful if not disposed of properly.

5. What is the process of recycling fluorescent lamps?

Recycling fluorescent lamps is important because they contain small amounts of mercury, a toxic substance. The process involves crushing the lamps to release the mercury vapor, which is then captured and separated through a distillation process. The remaining materials, such as glass and metal, are also recycled or disposed of properly.