Can Lights Be Heard at Light Speed? The Surprising Discovery in Galactic Traffic

In summary: If an object has mass, the law of special relativity tells us that the object will cause a drag on the space around it, slowing down the speed of everything else in its vicinity. In summary, some day a spaceship was driving at light speed, and a dumb driver appeared in the galactic highway. The spaceship's headlights worked when the spaceship was going at light speed, and the dumb driver sounded the horn but nobody of the cars in front of him heard the sound.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some day I was driving my spaceship that can go as faster as light velocity. (in year 2175 all of us believe Einstein was wrong). Suddenly, a dumb driver appeared in the galactic highway with a old fashioned spacecraft , and when I reach him I stood behind him wanting to express my angry. To my surprise, I sounded a lot of times the horn, but nobody of the cars in front of me heard no sound. Then, I thought in the Mach cone and this sorts of things and using those unpractical tools of the physics, I invoked the special relativity postulated and switched on the frontal lights like flickering. Hey, I discovered that going at light speed my lights worked! (After all Einstein was not so wrong). :wink:

To point this in another way more serious, sound interaction seems to be a perturbation over some type of steady mesh (not participating of the spacecraft movement). But light rays seems to be a little bit different, isn't it?. Although I think they might be similar. The question that anyone of such stupid drivers can hear me if I sound my horn if I'm going supersonically, but can see me if I switch on the lights, seems to be a little bit puzzling!.

Anything to say about?

Science news on Phys.org
But light rays seems to be a little bit different, isn't it?

To say the least. Sound is composed of varying pressure in a medium, whereas Light is a concept we use to describe the way some forces occur. Since it involves causation, your headlight questions become fundamental questions about how our universe works. Those types of thought problems are constantly considered in relativistic mechanics.

for that question, you can use Special Relativity and calculations. If you look at velocity addition at speeds close to the speed of light, you will see your result. If I am not mistaken, relativistic velovity addition is:
u' = v + u / (1 + vu/c^2)
if you sub in your speeds (speed of spaceship = 1c)
(speed of emitted light = 1c)
u' = 1c + 1c / (1 + (1c)(1c)/c^2)
u' = 2c / (1 + (1c^2)/c^2)
u' = 2c / (1 + 1)
u' = 2c / 2
u' = 1c
which means the light emitted by your headlights will propagate ahead of you at the speed of light. It is hard to picture this but that's special relativity.

for that question, you can use Special Relativity and calculations.
No you can't, since:

(in year 2175 all of us believe Einstein was wrong).

If you are traveling at c, and is massive, no current law can tell you what is going on, because the current laws say rather bluntly: No massive object can travel at c!

FZ+ said:
...the current laws say rather bluntly: No massive object can travel at c!

Does that mean the mass Earth is not moving at .8c in comparison to some stars? Or how about in comparison to light reflected away from earth?

What law is that? I have never read that or heard anything like that.

299,792,458 m/s - Speed of light (.8 = 239,833.966 km/s) Speed of light info

149,600,000 km - Earth's orbit away from sun. Orbit info

Therefore circumference of orbit = (pi(d)) 3.14*299,200,000 = ~939,488,000

therefore if the Earth were traveling at 8/10 the speed of light the Earth would revolve around the sun once every 3917 seconds or ~every 65 minutes... so no the Earth is NOT traveling at 8/10 the speed of light.

Last edited:
The Earth is certainly not traveling with respect to the sun at 8/10 c. Did anyone say it was?

Relativity tells us (as FZ+ said) that no massive object can travel at speed c with respect to any inertial frame, and thus with respect to any other massive object.

Of course, I have no idea as to Clausius2's original point, as he has things moving at (or greater than?) light speed and sound traveling in space.

omin said:
Does that mean the mass Earth is not moving at .8c in comparison to some stars?

some stars includes our own, so i used that as a provable refernece, or am I just not understanding what he meant? And if c is the S.o.L. Why would it change from what you were measuring it with respect to? wheter you judged it from our sun, orhter stars, Mars, or even comets?

299,792,458 m/s - Speed of light (.8 = 239,833.966 km/s)

149,600,000 km - Earth's orbit away from sun.

Therefore circumference of orbit = (pi(d)) 3.14*299,200,000 = ~939,488,000

just for fun. the speed of the Earth in m/s (in reference to the orbit around our sun)..

there are 31,536,000 seconds in a year (using a 365 day year)(and not including the 1/4 of a day each year) if the orbit of the Earth is app. 939,488,000 KM and the Earth makes that trip in exactly 1 year, the Earth travels at ~ 29.790 KM/s or 29,790 m/s which is app. 99/1000000 the speed of light or, .000099369

And yes this accounts for the elliptical shape of the Earths orbit.. not circular.. but remember that's using the other assumptions

Last edited:
omin said:
Does that mean the mass Earth is not moving at .8c in comparison to some stars? Or how about in comparison to light reflected away from earth?

.8 c?, certainly. c?, never!

LURCH said:
.8 c?, certainly. c?, never!
totally lost me on that response?

In response to the question whether Earth is moving at .8c relative to "some stars", I am saying that it certainly is. It is a near certainty that there is some stars somewhere in universe traveling at that velocity relative to earth.

However, FZ+ did not say that the laws of relativity prohibit Earth from traveling at .8c, but only that it cannot travel at c.

Hubbles law tells us that distant galaxies are traveling away from us at very high velocities; velocities proportional to their distance from us.

There is an observable edge to the Universe - past which galaxies appear to be traveling away from us at greater than the speed of light, so their light never reaches us. Of course, they aren't really traveling at greater than c, just the expansion of space means that distant 'stationary' galaxies are all traveling further apart as the space between them expands - as do dots on a balloon as you inflate the balloon.

Is this what Omin is referring to perhaps when he talks about stars traveling at very high speeds?

Just a thought... :smile:

Clausius2 said:
Some day I was driving my spaceship that can go as faster as light velocity. (in year 2175 all of us believe Einstein was wrong).

Well, make something up then - because standard theory won't cover it.

1. What is a crash at light speed?

A crash at light speed refers to a collision that occurs between two objects moving at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is the fastest possible speed in the universe and is theorized to be impossible for any physical object to achieve.

2. Can anything survive a crash at light speed?

According to the laws of physics, it is not possible for any physical object to survive a crash at light speed. The intense impact and energy released from such a collision would result in the complete destruction of any object involved.

3. How would a crash at light speed affect time and space?

A crash at light speed would have a significant impact on both time and space. As an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation occurs, meaning time slows down for the object. Additionally, the mass of the object would increase, causing distortions in space-time around it.

4. What would happen if a spaceship crashed at light speed?

If a spaceship were to crash at light speed, it would be completely destroyed. The intense impact and energy released would cause the spaceship to disintegrate into subatomic particles. It would also create a massive explosion with the force of a nuclear bomb.

5. Is it possible to travel at light speed without crashing?

Currently, it is not possible for any known object to travel at the speed of light without crashing. The energy required to reach such a speed is unfathomable, and the physical limitations of objects prevent them from achieving this velocity. However, scientists continue to explore theories and possibilities for faster-than-light travel.