What is the force of impact for a solid steel door falling on an arc?

In summary, to calculate the force of impact for an object falling on an arc, you will need to use the equation F = mv^2/2, where F is the force of impact, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity. To calculate the velocity, you will need to use the kinematic equation v = at, where a is the acceleration due to gravity and t is the time it takes for the object to travel through the arc. Once you have calculated the velocity, you can use it in the equation F = mv^2/2 to determine the force of impact.
Bleverett
I need help with some physics questions. I need to know how to figure the force that an object falling on an arc would strike someone. The object is a solid steel door mounted horizontally. The door is 68 1/2 in. wide and 15 in. tall. It is mounted at the base and weighs 45.39 lbs or 20.59 kgs. I have computed the length of the arc for the leading edge at 23.57 in.

I am not a physics man and need some help. I know force of impact is tricky from what I have learned so far but anything that tells me how fast the door is moving and how much energy it what develop what be very helpful. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
!The force of impact can be calculated using the equation F = mv^2/2, where F is the force of impact, m is the mass of the door, and v is the velocity of the door when it strikes. To calculate the velocity, you will need to know the acceleration due to gravity (g) and the time it takes for the door to move through the arc. Assuming a constant acceleration, we can use the kinematic equation v = at to calculate the velocity. Since we know the length of the arc (23.57 in.), we can calculate the time it takes for the door to travel that distance by using the equation t = s/v, where t is the time, s is the distance, and v is the velocity. We can then use this time to calculate the velocity using the equation v = at.Once you have calculated the velocity, you can use it in the equation F = mv^2/2 to calculate the force of impact. Good luck!

I can provide some guidance on how to calculate the force of impact for this scenario. The force of impact, also known as the impact force, is the force that results from an object colliding with another object. It is calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

In this case, the object is the solid steel door and the other object is the ground. The door is falling on an arc, which means it will have a downward acceleration due to gravity. The acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. To calculate the force of impact, we need to know the speed at which the door hits the ground.

To calculate the speed, we can use the equation v^2=u^2+2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), a is the acceleration, and s is the distance traveled. In this scenario, the distance traveled is the length of the arc, which is 23.57 inches or 0.598 meters.

Plugging in the values, we get v^2=0+2(9.8)(0.598), which gives us a final velocity of 4.38 m/s. Now, we can calculate the force of impact using the equation F=ma. The mass of the door is 20.59 kg and the acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2. Plugging in these values, we get a force of 201.92 Newtons.

This means that the force of impact when the solid steel door falls on an arc is approximately 201.92 Newtons. It is important to note that this is a theoretical calculation and the actual force of impact may vary depending on factors such as air resistance and the material of the ground. I highly recommend consulting with a professional engineer for a more accurate assessment.

1. What is the Force of Impact?

The Force of Impact is the amount of force that an object experiences when it collides with another object or surface. It is a measure of the change in momentum of an object due to the collision.

2. How is the Force of Impact calculated?

The Force of Impact is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration. The acceleration is determined by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for the collision to occur.

3. What factors affect the Force of Impact?

The factors that affect the Force of Impact include the mass and velocity of the objects involved in the collision, the angle of impact, and the rigidity of the surfaces involved.

4. Why is the Force of Impact important?

The Force of Impact is important because it can determine the extent of damage or injury caused by a collision. It is also crucial in designing safety measures and protective equipment to minimize the effects of impact.

5. How can the Force of Impact be reduced?

The Force of Impact can be reduced by decreasing the mass and/or velocity of the objects involved in the collision, increasing the time of impact, or by using shock-absorbing materials to absorb some of the force. Proper safety precautions and avoidance of collisions can also help to reduce the Force of Impact.