Water bath with controlled temperature

In summary, the person is looking for ideas on how to maintain water temperature at a specific value for a 45-minute experiment at home. They need to keep the temperature constant above room temperature without increasing the amount of water. They are using 1000 ml of water and may consider using an aquarium heater. They also need to know the level of accuracy needed for the temperature measurement.
nellierd
Hi,

I want to conduct an experiment where I want to maintain water temperature at a particular value. Its an experiment for a project and I have to do it at home. Is there any ideas of how I can keep the temperature constant(may be for 45 min). I have to do the experiment at temperatures above room temperature and I have to figure out how to do it. I also don't want to increase the amount of water (like mixing in more hot water, if temperature drops) Any ideas, please help. Thanks in advance. I would be doing the experiment with 1000 ml of water.

Science news on Phys.org
nellierd said:
Hi,

I want to conduct an experiment where I want to maintain water temperature at a particular value. Its an experiment for a project and I have to do it at home. Is there any ideas of how I can keep the temperature constant(may be for 45 min). I have to do the experiment at temperatures above room temperature and I have to figure out how to do it. I also don't want to increase the amount of water (like mixing in more hot water, if temperature drops) Any ideas, please help. Thanks in advance. I would be doing the experiment with 1000 ml of water.
That's not too much water, so an aquarium heater might work for you, assuming you don't need the water too hot.

How tight a limit do you have on the temperature? How accurate is the thermometer that you are going to measure the temperature with?

1. What is a water bath with controlled temperature?

A water bath with controlled temperature is a laboratory equipment used for heating or cooling substances to a specific temperature. It consists of a container filled with water and a heater or chiller, along with a temperature control system to maintain the desired temperature.

2. What is the purpose of using a water bath with controlled temperature?

The purpose of using a water bath with controlled temperature is to provide a precise and stable environment for conducting experiments or processes that require a specific temperature. It is commonly used in scientific research, medical and pharmaceutical laboratories, and other industries.

3. How does a water bath with controlled temperature work?

A water bath with controlled temperature works by circulating water through a heater or chiller and then back into the container. The temperature control system adjusts the heating or cooling power to maintain the desired temperature. The container's walls provide insulation, preventing heat loss or gain from the surroundings.

4. What are the advantages of using a water bath with controlled temperature?

There are several advantages of using a water bath with controlled temperature, including precise temperature control, uniform heating or cooling of samples, and the ability to maintain a constant temperature for extended periods. It also eliminates the risk of overheating or freezing samples, which can affect the accuracy of experiments.

5. What are the common applications of a water bath with controlled temperature?

A water bath with controlled temperature has various applications, including DNA or RNA extraction, enzyme reactions, cell culture, and protein purification. It is also used in experiments involving melting or boiling points, as well as in quality control and testing processes in the food and beverage industry.