How can we use maple seeds for personal transport?

In summary: Adding a generator to the blade would work, but it's not necessary.What are your thoughts on the feasibility of your design?I think it's a very interesting idea, and it could definitely be done. However, I am not sure if it would be effective or not.
boneh3ad said:
Multiple scales, for example, is pretty simple. There are other methods that are ridiculously complicated if you want to understand how they actually work. Some of the things in perturbation you just have to take on faith.

For me, multiple scales and matched asymptotic expansions are both not too bad. There are other ones though that were mug more of a black box because they are based on one or two guys' lives' work. Those you had to just kind of take on faith alone.

I'm talking about replacing states by things like p = p_0 + \delta p and expanding out and dropping terms. Never had to bother with matched asymptotic expansions.

Physics news on Phys.org
boneh3ad said:
Wow did this thread take a right turn for the obscure
It might well be a "right turn" from the original post, but it seems a necessary tool for determining whether or not the machine in question can work.

Cyrus said:
I'm talking about replacing states by things like p = p_0 + \delta p and expanding out and dropping terms. Never had to bother with matched asymptotic expansions.

Then you seemingly haven't been introduced to the formal "perturbation techniques" that I am referring to. Sure introducing disturbances and then canceling out nonlinear terms is easy. That represents about 1% of the battle in the techniques that I was referring to that I had to take a class in. They were pretty brutal.

Danger said:
It might well be a "right turn" from the original post, but it seems a necessary tool for determining whether or not the machine in question can work.

Well I am sure you could make it technically "work." The real question is not "will it work?" but instead "what's the point?" It doesn't offer any benefit over traditional rotary aircraft.

boneh3ad said:
Then you seemingly haven't been introduced to the formal "perturbation techniques" that I am referring to. Sure introducing disturbances and then canceling out nonlinear terms is easy. That represents about 1% of the battle in the techniques that I was referring to that I had to take a class in. They were pretty brutal.

Yeah, for flight dynamics there isn't that much of a need to do anything more than I described. All we want to do is linearize and obtain the A and B matrices. I can imagine if you're trying to look at something more precise like boundary layer flow it gets more involved. If our models are a bit off it's not a huge issue because the controller has some gain and phase margin built into it to account for plant inaccuracies and disturbance rejection.

Cyrus said:
Yeah, for flight dynamics there isn't that much of a need to do anything more than I described. All we want to do is linearize and obtain the A and B matrices. I can imagine if you're trying to look at something more precise like boundary layer flow it gets more involved. If our models are a bit off it's not a huge issue because the controller has some gain and phase margin built into it to account for plant inaccuracies and disturbance rejection.

Yeah. The point of the ones I have had to use is to take a nonlinear PDE, split it up into n linear PDE's where your accuracy gets better as n increases. That is usually governed by what your small parameter is and the physics of the system. You end up with several equations of increasingly smaller order and you keep as many as you need. Luckily, you don't really need to solve them in my line of work, you just need to extract the information that you need out of it, which is still pretty beastly at times.

<h2>1. How do maple seeds work for personal transport?</h2><p>Maple seeds have a unique shape and structure that allows them to spin as they fall to the ground. This spinning motion creates a lift force, similar to that of a helicopter rotor, which allows them to travel through the air and potentially be used for personal transport.</p><h2>2. Can maple seeds support the weight of a person?</h2><p>While maple seeds are capable of carrying their own weight, they are not strong enough to support the weight of a person. However, with advancements in technology and engineering, it may be possible to create a larger, stronger version of a maple seed that could potentially support the weight of a person.</p><h2>3. How fast can maple seeds travel?</h2><p>The speed at which a maple seed can travel is dependent on several factors, such as wind speed and the angle at which it falls. On average, maple seeds can travel at speeds of 20-30 feet per second, which is not fast enough for personal transport. However, with modifications and improvements, this speed could potentially be increased.</p><h2>4. Are there any risks associated with using maple seeds for personal transport?</h2><p>At this time, there are no known risks associated with using maple seeds for personal transport. However, as with any new form of transportation, thorough testing and safety measures would need to be implemented to ensure the safety of individuals using this method of transport.</p><h2>5. How can we make maple seeds more efficient for personal transport?</h2><p>There are several ways in which maple seeds could potentially be made more efficient for personal transport. This could include modifying the shape and size of the seeds, as well as incorporating advanced technology and materials to enhance their aerodynamics and strength. Further research and experimentation would be needed to determine the most effective methods for improving the efficiency of maple seeds for personal transport.</p>

1. How do maple seeds work for personal transport?

Maple seeds have a unique shape and structure that allows them to spin as they fall to the ground. This spinning motion creates a lift force, similar to that of a helicopter rotor, which allows them to travel through the air and potentially be used for personal transport.

2. Can maple seeds support the weight of a person?

While maple seeds are capable of carrying their own weight, they are not strong enough to support the weight of a person. However, with advancements in technology and engineering, it may be possible to create a larger, stronger version of a maple seed that could potentially support the weight of a person.

3. How fast can maple seeds travel?

The speed at which a maple seed can travel is dependent on several factors, such as wind speed and the angle at which it falls. On average, maple seeds can travel at speeds of 20-30 feet per second, which is not fast enough for personal transport. However, with modifications and improvements, this speed could potentially be increased.

4. Are there any risks associated with using maple seeds for personal transport?

At this time, there are no known risks associated with using maple seeds for personal transport. However, as with any new form of transportation, thorough testing and safety measures would need to be implemented to ensure the safety of individuals using this method of transport.

5. How can we make maple seeds more efficient for personal transport?

There are several ways in which maple seeds could potentially be made more efficient for personal transport. This could include modifying the shape and size of the seeds, as well as incorporating advanced technology and materials to enhance their aerodynamics and strength. Further research and experimentation would be needed to determine the most effective methods for improving the efficiency of maple seeds for personal transport.