What is the optimal value for c when calculating the inverse Laplace transform?

In summary, it is impossible to calculate numerically the inverse Laplace transform because it is a line complex integral and not a simple integral. To calculate it, you would need the residue theorem.
eljose79
Let,s suppose we want to get the inverse Laplace transform of a function f(s) numerically,we should calculate the integral from (c-i8,c+i8) of exp(st)f(s) my question is what c we should choose for calculating the integral?..wouldn,t depend the integral of the value of c..where could i find the proof that the Inverse Laplace transform does not depend on the value of c chosen?..

Another question,let,s take the Laplace transform in 2 dimensions hten how would we define the Laplace inverse transform?..

Physics news on Phys.org
you can use the complexe analysis and résidue theorem

but what would happen if i try solving it numerically for example we should calculate the integral over all R of exp(ixt)f(c+ix)exp(ct) and this would be equal to our inverse Laplace transform, the problem is what c would i choose?..thanx.

So you have a complex integral (the integral of the inverse Laplace is a line integral in complex analysis) .
It is impossible to calculate numerically these integral , because it is a line complex integral and not a simple integral like the reel integral , for this (if you know the complex analysis) their is an important theorem to calculate the value of the complex integral it is : Residue theorem, so use this theorem

But making the change of variable c+iu the integral becomes simply a Fourier inverse transform (is a integral on the real plane of exp(iu)f(c+iu)exp(ct)) so if we can have a real integral and should be able to compute it numerically.

It is wrong
When you change the variale c+iu=v , so u change an COMPLEX variable and not a real variable!

but the Laplace inverse transform is not just a special case of Fourier transform?

Ya
the Laplace inverse transform is not just a special case of Fourier transform
But when we calculate the Laplace we use the complexe variables and not the real variables

What is Laplace inverse transform?

Laplace inverse transform is a mathematical operation used to convert a function from the Laplace domain to the time domain. It is the reverse of the Laplace transform, which is used to convert a function from the time domain to the Laplace domain.

How is Laplace inverse transform calculated?

The Laplace inverse transform is calculated using the Bromwich integral, which involves integrating the function in the Laplace domain along a contour in the complex plane. The result of this integral is the function in the time domain.

What is the importance of Laplace inverse transform?

Laplace inverse transform is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows us to solve differential equations in the time domain by transforming them into algebraic equations in the Laplace domain. This makes it easier to analyze and solve complex systems and phenomena.

What are the limitations of Laplace inverse transform?

One limitation of Laplace inverse transform is that it can only be used for functions that have a Laplace transform. Additionally, the calculation of the inverse transform can be difficult for functions with complex poles or branch points.

How is Laplace inverse transform used in real-world applications?

Laplace inverse transform is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as signal processing, control systems, and circuit analysis. It is also used in solving differential equations in physics, chemistry, and biology. In finance, the Laplace inverse transform is used in option pricing models.