Could water become explosive if heated enough?

• Thread starter jeebs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, water can become explosive if you heat it enough. You can actually make any two light elements explosive by heating them as long as they fuse to produce an element with an atomic number smaller than 26. Then as you get to around 10,000 to 15,000 degrees, hydrogen nuclei can fuse together to make helium.
jeebs
First off I have to say that I'm not much of a chemist, so there's probably something elementary I've missed here. This weird little question just popped into my head, and it goes as follows:

water is oxygen and hydrogen, right? and it has a boiling point of 100 Celsius. But, if I'm not mistaken, if we have it in a sealed container we can keep putting energy in, keep heating it up. presumably almost indefinitely.

Would there come a point where the temperature gets so high that the water molecules break apart and the H and O parts exist on their own, so that if you were to suddenly rip the container open and make a spark, the gases would rush out and combust, seeing as hydrogen burns in oxygen?

if not, why not?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If water was heated up to decompose, gases are hot enough to not react back before they get cold. But when temperature goes down they will react back creating water, unless they were earlier separated.

ahh, well, there goes that dream...

jeebs said:
First off I have to say that I'm not much of a chemist, so there's probably something elementary I've missed here. This weird little question just popped into my head, and it goes as follows:

water is oxygen and hydrogen, right? and it has a boiling point of 100 Celsius. But, if I'm not mistaken, if we have it in a sealed container we can keep putting energy in, keep heating it up. presumably almost indefinitely.

Would there come a point where the temperature gets so high that the water molecules break apart and the H and O parts exist on their own, so that if you were to suddenly rip the container open and make a spark, the gases would rush out and combust, seeing as hydrogen burns in oxygen?

if not, why not?
Your limitation here is physics and engineering, not chemistry. If you confine water in a sealed container and keep adding energy, you will create a destructive steam explosion when the vapor pressure in the vessel exceeds the strength of the containment. That's why boilers have safety relief valves among other things.

Apparently water can detonate by a very different mechanism.

I read about it from Sam Barros's site, but have not gotten around to investigating it more. Kind of interesting, though. http://www.powerlabs.org/waterarc.htm

jeebs said:
...Would there come a point where the temperature gets so high that the water molecules break apart and the H and O parts exist on their own, so that if you were to suddenly rip the container open and make a spark, the gases would rush out and combust, seeing as hydrogen burns in oxygen?

Instead of raising the temperature, you can simply run a current through the water and catch the two gases in upside down test tubes. It's a common elementary experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water

Actually, water can become explosive if you heat it enough. At around 2000 degrees Centigrade, it decomposes to hydrogen and oxygen. At even higher temperatures around 6000 K, it becomes a plasma. (a high temperature ionized gas that's electrically neutral) Then as you get to around 10,000 to 15,000 degrees, hydrogen nuclei can fuse together to make helium and this is a highly exothermic reaction. (it's what generates heat in stars) The sudden release of large amounts of heat will cause a huge explosion as the plasma increases it's pressure and expands as a result of the temperature change. Stars don't begin to collapse in on themselves until their nuclear fuel runs out so this should give you an idea on how strong the pressure produced by nuclear fusion is.

So technically, yes you can make water explosive by heating it enough. You can actually make any two light elements explosive by heating them as long as they fuse to produce an element with an atomic number smaller than 26. (stars die and collapse in on themselves after iron is made since the making of iron by fusion is highly endothermic)

hawkingfan said:
Then as you get to around 10,000 to 15,000 degrees, hydrogen nuclei can fuse together to make helium

You are off by several orders of magnitude.

The energy needed to remove an electron from hydrogen is 13.6 Electron Volt.
Converting electron volt to kelvin:

(1ev/Kb) = (1.60217653 X 10^-19 J)/(1.3806505 X 10^-23 J/K) = 11604,505 K

13.6 * 11604,505 K = ~158 000 degrees Kelvin.

Last edited:
Kevin VdM said:
The energy needed to remove an electron from hydrogen is 13.6 Electron Volt.
Converting electron volt to kelvin:

(1ev/Kb) = (1.60217653 X 10^-19 J)/(1.3806505 X 10^-23 J/K) = 11604505 K

13.6 * 11604505 K = ~158 000 000 degrees Kelvin.

This result is high by a factor of 10,000; it should be 15 800 K .

Wow i just recalculated, there is indeed a hughe error in my formulla.
I'm off with a factor of 1000 i think.
1Ev = 11604,505 K

So 13,6Ev is somewhere around 158 000 K
I think this should be a correct result.

1. What is the temperature at which water would become explosive?

The exact temperature at which water would become explosive varies depending on the conditions and substances present. However, in general, water needs to be heated to extremely high temperatures (over 212 degrees Fahrenheit) and put under immense pressure for it to become explosive.

2. How does heating water cause it to become explosive?

When water is heated, the molecules gain energy and start moving faster, which causes the water to expand and turn into steam. At extremely high temperatures and pressure, the molecules can become so energized that they start to break apart, forming hydrogen and oxygen gases. These gases can then ignite and create an explosive reaction.

3. Can any type of water become explosive when heated?

No, only pure water can become explosive when heated. If there are impurities or minerals present in the water, it can change the chemical composition and prevent the formation of hydrogen and oxygen gases. This means that tap water or seawater, for example, are unlikely to become explosive when heated.

4. Is there a risk of water becoming explosive in everyday situations?

No, there is generally no risk of water becoming explosive in everyday situations. As mentioned, extremely high temperatures and pressures are required for water to become explosive, and these conditions are not typically present in our daily lives.

5. Are there any benefits to using explosive water?

While it is possible to use explosive water as a source of energy, it is not a practical or safe method. The explosive reaction is difficult to control and can be extremely dangerous. It is also not a sustainable or environmentally friendly source of energy.