Electric field due to concentric cylinders

In summary, the conversation is about two long charged concentric cylinders with different radii and surface charge densities. The question is to find the electric field at a specific radius from the central axis. One person worked out the solution and got an answer of 1.06x10^6 N/C, while the book gives an answer of 2.12 MN/C. Another person suggests using Gauss's Law to find the answer and provides the correct formula. However, there is still a slight difference in the answer, with the book giving 2.19 MN/C. The questioner wonders if the solution being posed is incorrect.
stunner5000pt
2 long charged concentric cylinders have radii of 3.22cm and 6.18cm. Surface charge densit of the inner cylinder is 2.41 micro C / m^2 and outer cylinger is -18.0microC/ m^2. Find electric field at r = 4.10cm (r is the radius as taken from the central axid of these two concetric cylinders)

i worked it out and got E = 2 k (2.41 x 10^-6)/ (0.041) = 1.06x 10^6N/C

am i right ?

the book gives an answer that is 2.12 MN/C

so who i right me or the book?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Book I think

I got an answer of .214 M N/C, but what's a factor of ten between friends? When you use Gauss's Law you should have

E*2*pi*r*L, on one side and, (2*pi*a*L*sigma)/epsilon, on the other

L is any arbitrary length (it cancels) r is where you want the field, a is the radius of the inner cyl. sigma is the surface charge density and epsilon is epsilon.

Gabriel

Allday said:
I got an answer of .214 M N/C, but what's a factor of ten between friends? When you use Gauss's Law you should have

E*2*pi*r*L, on one side and, (2*pi*a*L*sigma)/epsilon, on the other

L is any arbitrary length (it cancels) r is where you want the field, a is the radius of the inner cyl. sigma is the surface charge density and epsilon is epsilon.

Gabriel

there must a reason why its off my a tenth though

check my math

I got

E = (a * sigma)/(r * epsilon)

a = .0322 m
sigma = 2.41 * 10^-6 C/m^2
r = .0410 m
epsilon = 8.85 * 10^-12

This gives me 213868 N/C

Gabriel

Allday said:
I got

E = (a * sigma)/(r * epsilon)

a = .0322 m
sigma = 2.41 * 10^-6 C/m^2
r = .0410 m
epsilon = 8.85 * 10^-12

This gives me 213868 N/C

Gabriel

I have to make a correction, the answer in teh book is 2.19 MN/C

so we're off by a tenth and and a few points

perhaps the solution you are posing is wrong??

1. How is the electric field between two concentric cylinders calculated?

The electric field between two concentric cylinders can be calculated using the formula E = (λ/2πε₀r)ln(b/a), where λ is the charge density, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, r is the distance from the center of the cylinders, and a and b are the radii of the inner and outer cylinders, respectively.

2. What is the direction of the electric field between two concentric cylinders?

The electric field between two concentric cylinders is always radial, meaning it points directly away from or towards the center of the cylinders depending on the charge distribution.

3. How does the electric field between two concentric cylinders change as the distance between them increases?

As the distance between two concentric cylinders increases, the electric field between them decreases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance between the cylinders, as shown in the formula E = (λ/2πε₀r)ln(b/a).

4. What happens to the electric field if the charge density on the cylinders is increased?

If the charge density on the cylinders is increased, the electric field between them will also increase. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the charge density, as shown in the formula E = (λ/2πε₀r)ln(b/a).

5. Can the electric field between two concentric cylinders ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field between two concentric cylinders can be zero if the charge density on the cylinders is zero, or if the distance between the cylinders is infinite. In these cases, there is no electric field between the cylinders.