Interpretation of Einstein's E=mc2 paper

In summary, Einstein says that the inertia of a body depends upon its energy content. He also discusses how mass is relativistic and how it is dependent on the energy it contains.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In "Does the inertia of a body depend upon its energy content?," http://fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/E_mc2/www/ , Einstein says:

Thus it is clear that the difference H-E can differ from the kinetic energy K of the body, with respect to the other system [itex](\xi,\eta,\zeta)[/itex], only by an additive constant C, which depends on the choice of the arbitrary additive constants of the energies H and E.

My interpretation of this is that these energies contain both potential and kinetic terms. A potential energy U is only defined up to an additive constant. If, for example, U depends on the distance r between particles, and the distance undergoes a Lorentz contraction, there is no reason to imagine that the constant will stay the same. In nonrelativistic physics, a particular expression for U(r) would give the same result in either frame, so although we would still be free to pick a different C when starting a problem over in a different frame, there would be less physical motivation for doing so.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

At first I thought that the C might refer to the energy equivalent of the rest mass, but Einstein later explicitly states that C has to stay the same before and after emission of the light waves. The rest mass of the emitting body, however, changes.

Physics news on Phys.org
In relativity, mass is also relativistic, as energy is different in different reference frames. The idea exactly came from an imaginary experiment of emission of photons.

Most of the rest mass also comes from energy, small proportion is molecular energy and energy of electrons, large proportion is nuclear energy (things like gluons). Only a little bit of the mass is inertial mass that fermions have which associated with Higgs field hypothesis.

If an object emit photons it is losing energy, thus equivalent amount of mass would be lost.

Hi, ZealScience,

Thanks for the reply, but I was asking about a specific point in the Einstein paper.

ZealScience said:
Only a little bit of the mass is inertial mass that fermions have which associated with Higgs field hypothesis.
I'm not much of a particle physicist, but I don't think this is right.

-Ben

The argument Einstein uses is heavily dependent on the relationship between energy and momentum under the Lorentz Transformation. This relationship does not hold up well when a constant is added to the energy. And indeed, one sees this in the final result. If I have a golf ball with the standard mass of a golf ball, I cannot simply have it be a black hole by me adding a huge mass to it by just putting on a large additive constant to the energy.

I have the same interpretation as you bcrowell.

1. What is the significance of Einstein's E=mc2 paper?

Einstein's E=mc2 paper, published in 1905, is considered one of the most revolutionary scientific papers in history. It laid the foundation for modern physics and completely changed our understanding of the relationship between mass and energy.

2. How did Einstein come up with the equation E=mc2?

Einstein's equation was the result of his theory of special relativity, which he developed while working as a patent clerk. He realized that energy and mass are two sides of the same coin, and that mass can be converted into energy and vice versa.

3. What does the equation E=mc2 actually mean?

The equation states that the energy (E) of a particle is equal to its mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared. This means that even a small amount of mass contains a huge amount of energy, and that energy and mass are interchangeable.

4. How has E=mc2 been applied in modern science?

E=mc2 has been applied in various fields such as nuclear energy, nuclear weapons, and particle accelerators. It has also been used to develop technologies like PET scans and nuclear medicine, which utilize the conversion of mass into energy.

5. Is E=mc2 still relevant today?

Yes, E=mc2 is still a fundamental principle in modern physics. It has been tested and proven through numerous experiments, and continues to be used in various applications and research studies. Its implications are still being explored and studied by scientists today.